Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

Trauma Kit

Here are some photos of the new trauma/survival kit I just put together.

There are 6 other compartments that I didn't photograph. In other words, there's a lot of stuff in there!

Attachments

• bag 1.JPG
    bag 1.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 612
  • bag 2.JPG
    bag 2.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 637
  • bag 3.JPG
    bag 3.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 639

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy cow Scott! That has to be the largest first aid kit I have ever seen! I would feel pretty safe with you in the caravan out in the middle of nowhere. :)

Let's hope I remember how to use all that stuff! (And, where I've stashed it in the bag...)

Let's hope I remember how to use all that stuff! (And, where I've stashed it in the bag...)

...Let's hope you never have to use them on me...:biggthump

...Btw, Im sending you the extra cereal box tops you requested for your next class...:p:..j/k

...Seriously though,the more trained people in a group the better...I was on a trip years ago where we had a highly trained expert leading the group...Needless to say, he was seriously injured at the beginning of the trip and lost consciousness...

...Welp...The trip is about two months away and will be March 21-31...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293838

...I'm still gathering stuff...I picked up the first yellow top today to replace my good red top..I found them new with a 3 year warranty at Pepboy's for $169.99...

...I went and picked up a Coleman egg holder for a dozen eggs..
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000080763011P

...and a new, unbreakable mirror for the trip...
http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8501-Plexiglass-Mirror/dp/B001ANXT7W

41VJEEp2-ML._SS500_.jpg

...This left me enough money to run over to the Trasharoo guys shop and pick up another license plate holder since mine made it over to another members Ranger build...:biggthump

...They are now selling tailgate protectors like the clear rock/chip protectors for the front of vehicles...

Went to REI

I stopped by REI yesterday, and picked up a few things.

I now can carry 2 dozen eggs - I like the smaller carriers, as they pack easier in the ice chest. The SS bottle is to make sweet tea on the trail, the MSR bottle is for fuel (white gas), fry pans, bottles to carry vegetable oil and olive oil, strike anywhere matches and an LED headlamp.

Now to pack all this in my mini-kitchen...

Attachments

• Gear.JPG
    Gear.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 595

...You didn't happen to figure out what size plates work in the camp kitchen plate pouches did ya?

...I'm not near mine but what few camping places that sell them around here for cheap ($2.50 @ Enamel/stainless) only carry the 10" size...

...I might have to get the size and go to WallyWorld or shop online for them...

I didn't measure my plates. Mine are plastic - they are probably 10". They fit in the plate pouches, but with difficulty, as my plates have a raised rim.

Yesterday, I used the mini-kitchen and GSI coffee pot for the first time!

Attachments

• mini-kitchen.JPG
    mini-kitchen.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 559
  • coffee pot.JPG
    coffee pot.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 571

...So how did you like it?...:popcorn:

I have mixed feelings about it.

It's a little small, but I like the fact that is small. It is a little inconvenient to get to the main compartment with the table top on (especially with stuff on it.) Doable, just inconvenient (and, I did knock it over once while trying to get in the bottom compartment.)

It is big enough to get my cooking gear in - which is what I wanted it for.

Overall, I am happy with it. I would like to make enhancements and additions to my "camp kitchen" - this piece is a good start.

...That pretty much sums up how I feel about it..:scratch:

..It does fit all my needs and encloses a stove/cookware/spices to protect them while on the trail and packing these items are now a lot easier and the fuel bottle storage is a major bonus.

...My thoughts were to unpack it at the campfire first but didn't think ahead about it being a little top heavy if the bottom was empty...I will keep that in mind...

...Usually I don't use this much stuff...I just kill it, burn it, and stab it..:p:

..For the price and ease of packing and finally having everything together, I still think it's awesome ...:D

Edit: I meant to ask...What's the dealio with the table with the fixed legs in the above pics?

... I meant to ask...What's the dealio with the table with the fixed legs in the above pics?

The dealio is I built that table many years ago to hold 2 Coleman backpacking stoves, with a grate over the top of the burners. The idea was to build or simulate/imitate a 2-burner stove utilizing the backpacking stoves.

It works fine, just a little big. I haven't used it for several years, and had planned on either finishing this one (sand, varnish) or building a second, enhanced one (the first one is always the prototype!) - at this point, I don't know that I will do either.

Instead, I would like to get a portable table - probably an aluminum one. (REI has several models.) I think with a table, the mini-kitchen and my tailgate, that will make a large enough "camp kitchen." And, it can all be under the awning if I am out in the rain.

...With the date of the class, my work and mod's schedule, and limited funds, I don't think I'm going to be able to do this wilderness first aid course...:(

...I'm counting on you Scott to get me out of there alive...:D

...Oh yea I forgot...I also have Jury Duty staring the first..:rolleyes:

Any luck getting the GPS going?
Posted via Mobile Device

...I haven't had anytime to get a GPS going yet..:(

...I've been sick and trying to play catch up while dealing with the lingering crud..:thumbdwn:

...But I am awaiting a pm reply from you..:D

Just sent it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back