• Register Today It's free!

Serp Belt_98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC

bryansr

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
I'm looking to order a new belt from RockAuto and a bit confused. I see options for with and w/o an Air Pump. Would that pump be for an air suspension system or is it smog-related? I checked the number on my current belt (865K6) bought from a local parts store11yrs ago and it appears to be for a "with Air Pump" vehicle (just a bit shorter), but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have an air pump.

The reason I'm replacing is that it's now chattering when under a load due to the stop lug on the belt tensioner hitting. The belt does have check marks, but otherwise in good condition. I did compare my 865K6 belt to an 868K6 that a local parts store looked up for it and the 868 is a little shorter. I'm wondering if my problem is the belt or the belt tensioner. The tensioner is not the original, and was also replaced 11yrs ago.

It's approaching 180k and on it's last leg, so I'm trying to keep the replacement part list short...

Thanks
Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the stop on the tensioner is chirping or knocking. It's the belt

Thanks, but what's the air pump for? I know mine doesn't have an air-ride suspension.

What they mean by air pump is a air pump for the emission system. Not for the air ride.

Great video the only thing I would add is I went through like 3 new tensioners because of the flutter finely I put on a new slightly shorter belt and fixed I put my dayco tensioner back on and returned the 3 tensioners from 3 different stores
There are several threads on this problem hope this helps
try a belt first then tensioner imo

I ended up with belt dayco # 5060860

This is what I looks like when correct belt is installed

20190413_154819.jpg
the belt in the picture is after the mods I did however the tensioner position is what I'm showing

It says I'm restricted from seeing the video, maybe because of my sloooow internet connection.
I can see the image though, is the large pulley to the bottom right for the air pump? I don't believe mine has that.

It says I'm restricted from seeing the video, maybe because of my sloooow internet connection.
I can see the image though, is the large pulley to the bottom right for the air pump? I don't believe mine has that.

Nevermind, my son was logged in with his school account, that's what was restricting the video.
And I see the video is not specific to an Explorer....

OE Ford or Gates tensioner should look like the pic below. Pointer should be close to the center or slightly to the right of the center mark after briefly running the engine. IIRC, Donald's pic is a Dayco tensioner that uses a flat spring design and has different index markings.

lcA1ylg.jpg

Maybe the California trucks had the air pump for emissions? I’m not sure if these trucks came in Cali models and 49 state models, but lots of vehicles did. Air suspension pumps in fords are usually electric.

OE Ford or Gates tensioner should look like the pic below. Pointer should be close to the center or slightly to the right with the belt installed. IIRC, Donald's pic is a Dayco tensioner that uses a flat spring design and different index markings.

lcA1ylg.jpg
I just replaced mine with a oem ford one and a dayco belt. Works nice and quiet

Maybe it's for with or without A/C

I removed the A/C for my SOHC, and had to find shorter belt.

Back