• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt/ac ????

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
ok, so i got a brand new 200 amp alternator for my 2000 explorer sport. im in need of a new belt also, so what a perfect time to change the belt. now i heard they make a belt (shorter) to bypass the ac compressor. now my ac is currently not working due to a leak. so im not using my ac anyways. would i benefit in more mpg and or power with the shorter belt? thanks! :thumbsup::):usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The high output alternator puts more draw on the engine. Basically, if you bypass the AC pulley, you won't gain anything if the compressor is off.. All in all you're losing HP due to the alternator.

The high output alternator puts more draw on the engine. Basically, if you bypass the AC pulley, you won't gain anything if the compressor is off.. All in all you're losing HP due to the alternator.

really? i've never heard of losing power due to a higher amp alternator? so its not worth bypassing the ac compressor?

It's up to you whether you want to do it. It doesn't strain the motor if the clutch is not engaged/the AC isn't on. However, remember that the compressor also kicks in for defrost to not fog up the windows.

It's up to you whether you want to do it. It doesn't strain the motor if the clutch is not engaged/the AC isn't on. However, remember that the compressor also kicks in for defrost to not fog up the windows.

^This.

Just unplug your compressor wire so it can't ever engage. Actually if your system is low on pressure it won't ever engage anyway. Just free spinning the compressor bearing uses virtually no power. A fly could damn near land on it and spin that. Now that 200 amp alternator, that's going to suck some HP. Think about it, more winding's = more weight to turn. Rotational weight is bad.

well, ok guys thanks for the info! i think i will just stick with the stock belt. yea my current 130 amp alternator works, its just the voltage regulator is bad on it. so for the same price i found a 200 amp alt. i am running 2-12's with 2 amps & a capacitor.

the drag in an unloaded alternator is insignificant. No matter what size alternator you put in, the load is induced by the amount of current (amps) needed. If you have a 130 amp alternator and it powers everything just fine, a 200 amp alternator will produce the exact same amount of current the 130A did....its all load dependent. The rating is a maximum amp output.

The larger alternators are needed if you add a bunch of electrical components, like high power stereos, lots of lights, etc....

Just for reference, most new houses today come with a 200 amp service; before that, 150 amp was normal service. So unless you've got an electric oven and a clothes dryer in your car, you probably don't need a bigger alternator.

Gatorback or Gates are good belts.

Just for reference, most new houses today come with a 200 amp service; before that, 150 amp was normal service. So unless you've got an electric oven and a clothes dryer in your car, you probably don't need a bigger alternator.

The OP said he was running 2-12's and 2 amps.

So that's almost a clothes dryer.

The OP said he was running 2-12's and 2 amps.

So that's almost a clothes dryer.

lol, not quite. 2-12" jl w1 on a 500 watt amp & 4-jl audio 5x7's 2- jl audio 1" on a 340 watt amp with a 2 farad capacitor.

Back