• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Belt Break AGAIN

gearhead95

Reaction score
City, State
Fernandina Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mercury Mountaineer P
I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier with a V8 engine and 2wd. It has over 262,000 miles on it and the problem I'm having is that my serpentine belt broke again and I'm not exactly sure as to what is causing it. I already had this same problem back up in June/July and when I replaced the belt it worked fine until tonight. Also I should mention that my a/c isn't working either because all it does is blow hot air and when I put it on full blast it makes a loud gurgling noise as if it's being chocked. I already bought a new a/c clutch and am hoping that is the common problem with everything. If not that's fine too. Just need know what the exact problem is so I can fix it. Feedback would be greatly appreciated and I thank you guys again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the belt breaking. Linear? Cut across? Melted?

AC Clutch would only be needed if the compressor was fine but the clutch doesn't engage when power is applied, or the bearing is bad. Proper diagnostic on the AC system is needed.

I agree, you need to properly diagnose the AC system. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like either the bearing in the AC clutch is frozen, or the compressor itself is seized. With the belt off, you should easily be able to find the culprit by spinning pulleys.

How is the belt breaking. Linear? Cut across? Melted?

AC Clutch would only be needed if the compressor was fine but the clutch doesn't engage when power is applied, or the bearing is bad. Proper diagnostic on the AC system is needed.
The belt is cut clean across as if someone cut it with scissors.

I agree, you need to properly diagnose the AC system. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like either the bearing in the AC clutch is frozen, or the compressor itself is seized. With the belt off, you should easily be able to find the culprit by spinning pulleys.
Thanks, I really appreciate. I'm definitely gonna look in to the A/C system within the next few days to figure it out.

A frozen pulley would melt the belt. I've not seen one cut straight across.

Broken when you go to start or while driving?

Pissed off neighbor?

That's really strange that it would break clean like that.:crazy:

That's really strange that it would break clean like that.:crazy:
NEW UPDATE: As I was checking out the AC compressor and belt over the weekend. I discovered two things. First after reevaluating the serpentine belt I learned that it wasn't necessarily cut or more so burned off because it looked like it was melted which means that there was more than likely stress on the Belt which caused it to burn/melt rather than to be cut in half. The second thing I discovered was that the actual AC Compressor clutch was no longer engaging which I believe to be the core reason of my problems. Sound familiar to anyone?

If the compressor is froze, then turning on your AC would cause the compressor pulley to suddenly stop.

From there, your crank pulley would probably destroy the belt.

You should be able to push in the compressor clutch and turn it along with the pulley (belt off.)

If the compressor pulley spins freely itself, just remove the connector plugged into the clutch coil.

If the compressor is froze, then turning on your AC would cause the compressor pulley to suddenly stop.

From there, your alternator pulley would probably destroy the belt.

You should be able to push in the compressor clutch and turn it along with the pulley (belt off.)

If the compressor pulley spins freely itself, just remove the connector plugged into the clutch coil.
Would it still be possible for the compressor to "freeze" in 90+ degree Florida weather?

a frozen compressor is one that has grenaded inside and no longer spins/moves. It's not frozen as in really cold.

If the compressor froze, you'll need a new one as well as an orifice tube, accumulator and condenser. The hoses can be flushed.

buy a flush gun like FJC 2710 and some AC flush solvent.

You need compressed air as well.

Back