serpentine belt replacement, which brand? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt replacement, which brand?

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2004 Ford Sport Trac. I am up to 108,000 miles, 16 years on my serpentine belt and it is showing cracks. Original belt that is. What brand should I go with? Replace idler and tensioner pulley too? I know it happened to my dad twice that he replaced his belt and eventually a pulley seized.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use the "better known name brands" ie Gates, etc. With 108k/16 years on the idler and tensioner pulleys (bearings) I'd change them out at the same time. I'm a Motorcraft parts guy so I'ld lean in using MC parts but..... The last set I changed, I kept the idlers and purchased a set of bearings at a local bearing supply house so I could just replace the bearings. The bearings change out very easily.

Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V serpentine belt

They're under CONTINENTAL ELITE 4060855. Same belt just rebadged.

CONTINENTAL 4060855 ELITE Belt for 09-15 MIATA, 02-05 EXPLORER 4.0, TAURUS | eBay
I got a Goodyear gatorback back in 2014 for my now since sold Chevy Blazer. That explains why I didn't see that name this time around. But I settled for a Gates belt this time. I did more research and did not find a Continental Elite for my Sportrac. The one you list above is only for the explorers. The sportrac is different and take different parts. The 1st generation Sportrac is essentially based on the previous generation explorer.

CONTINENTAL ELITE 4060865

Back