Serpentine Belt Sizing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Belt Sizing

So, I changed things up again this morning while doing some more research into the the differences in the length.
One strange thing I came across, that I did not think about, was that there is a belt for Explorers withOUT A/C. I've never heard of not having an A/C in one of these...but I guess it could be a thing...or someone removed the A/C from their vehicle.

Anyway, back at my research, I came across Advance Auto selling a Dayco Serpentine Belt Kit (Serpentine Belt, Pulley and Tensioner) for $35.60 + shipping. Factor in a Labor Day discount code for 20% off and some Gift cards I had lying around and this was a no-brainer. Everything else is going back to Amazon and I'll just go with this Dayco setup for now.. I verified the length of the belt (88.25") and should fit. Heck, just the Belt itself at Advance Auto costs $43. Thanks to @J_C for letting me know the size was in the part #.

In the end...I guess this initial screwup in the sizes was a learning experience that I hope others may find useful in the future and I was able to save a few bucks in process over buying all of these parts separately.

View attachment 445234

Well, so much for my Dayco Kit...
Today, my kid calls and tells me that when he puts the vehicle in reverse, there's a clicking coming from under the hood. He says in drive it's fine and he's going to bring the car home and park it,

So, later, I have him start it up and look under the hood. Everything appears fine with the belt, idler pulley, etc. I tell him to put it in reverse, thinking there may be some sort of transmission issue and there's a clickty-click that comes from the passenger side of the motor up front!
He puts it in park and it goes away. So, I get around to that side of the car and tell him to put it in reverse again and as he does, I see the Belt Tensioner jumping all around (which I've never seen before) and then as soon as the car gets to reverse, it starts clickty-clacking again...like some sort of morse code or old teletypewriter...and I can see the Belt Tensioner slamming into itself! Ugh!! I also noticed that putting the A/C on can also trigger it.

Guess I'll be on the phone with Advance Auto and/or Dayco tomorrow.

Here's some video's for your enjoyment (Don't have the sound up too much, you'll probably wake up a dog or cat wondering WTF that noise it!)

I appreciate you helping solve my belt length mystery. One thing I’ve found makes it easier is this time I used one of those belt grabber tools, it was about $15 on Amazon. And everyone with the 4.0 probably knows this but I didn’t the first time, Is that when routing the belt, put it over the top smooth idler pulley last, because it’ll just slip right over the edge. When I changed one the first time I tried putting it over one of the other ones last and it wouldn’t go over the sharp edge. Also I’ve noticed the belt never seems to wrap around the water pump quite flush, it always seems to gravitate toward the fan. As long it’s on there don’t worry about whether it’s centered, it should correct itself when you drive it. I do have a serpentine belt tool but didn’t need it for the explorer, I just used a cheap 3/8 ratchet. In my old expedition I went through a lot with the serpentine belt, it broke while I was driving due to seized ac compressor, another time the top idler pulley fell off while I was driving. It turned out it was because the bolt that the pulley goes on was partially broken. With the expedition also, I used a serpentine belt tool but actually needed someone to hold the tensioner down all the way for me while I put the belt on and off. With the explorer it’s been pretty easy to do it myself.

I appreciate you helping solve my belt length mystery. One thing I’ve found makes it easier is this time I used one of those belt grabber tools, it was about $15 on Amazon. And everyone with the 4.0 probably knows this but I didn’t the first time, Is that when routing the belt, put it over the top smooth idler pulley last, because it’ll just slip right over the edge. When I changed one the first time I tried putting it over one of the other ones last and it wouldn’t go over the sharp edge. Also I’ve noticed the belt never seems to wrap around the water pump quite flush, it always seems to gravitate toward the fan. As long it’s on there don’t worry about whether it’s centered, it should correct itself when you drive it. I do have a serpentine belt tool but didn’t need it for the explorer, I just used a cheap 3/8 ratchet. In my old expedition I went through a lot with the serpentine belt, it broke while I was driving due to seized ac compressor, another time the top idler pulley fell off while I was driving. It turned out it was because the bolt that the pulley goes on was partially broken. With the expedition also, I used a serpentine belt tool but actually needed someone to hold the tensioner down all the way for me while I put the belt on and off. With the explorer it’s been pretty easy to do it myself.
88.3 inch Belt went on no problem.

IMG_7300.jpeg

88.3 inch Belt went on no problem.

View attachment 445556
FWIW, the Motorcraft belt I used (went on fine only after using the belt tensioner tool with its extension) is the one for air conditioned Explorers (98 XLT) The Motorcraft part number is XL2Z8620DA

Back