Serpentine belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine belt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No real trick other than making sure you know how it goes back on before removing the old one (the routing can be tricky if the diagram is no longer on the vehicle)... You need to remove the intake and then use a breaker bar or rachet (the longer the easier it will be to use) on the belt tensioner and turn left to relieve the tension in the belt.. It just comes right off and you reinstall the new one the same way... BTW keep the old belt in your jack area as a spar in-case you ever need it on the road.
18205Thermostat_housing_93_X-med.jpg

While you have the belt off, make sure you inspect all your pulleys for any problems. Also, the installation is easier if you have second person to thread the belt while you relieve the tensioner.

mine is like right there with the other stickers when you open the hood.

You'll need a 3/8" breaker bar to move the tensioner. If you belt routing stickers are destroyed or missing, look at how the belt is routed BEFORE removing it...heheh.
And yes, it really does help to have another person to assist, although if the fan is also removed, one person can do it easily...

i can do it in 5 mins, by myself, with just a end wrench. no need to remove the fan, just take the intake tube off

Wow, that was easy. Thanks for all the help folks! Saved myself $ 72 dollars in labor. Tensioners, what a concept!

Back