Service at dealership or local oil change place | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service at dealership or local oil change place

spencer785

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 EB 4x4 V6
Hi there just wondering do u guys go to the dealer or local oil change place for your service like oil change and other service. I just had my emissions system or fuel injectors cleaned whatever they said cleaned by my local oil change place. I think they did a good job but just wondering if it okay to go there instead of dealer easier drop in and stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we do it all ourself.
BUT if i get lazy i just take it down to the local jiffy lube and call it a day. I stay far from the dealer. ESPECIALLY lakeside chevrolet in rockwall TX :D uhg.. dont get me started on how crooked they are.
they "changed the oil" TWICE on my sisters malibu at $50 a pop.. so she went to a jiffy lube to have it done and they said it still had the same house brand filter they put on it a year ago and the drain plug was stripped out............ lakeside shrugged it off like it was nothing and gave her 3 free oil changes and fixed the plug.

Go wherever will do a good job for a good price.

Both will try to sell you extra stuff...lol

I don't take my truck in unless it is best handled by the dealer and covered by my warranty. Everything else I do myself.

The extra stuff is the big thing, don't let them sell it to you. I seriously doubt you needed an injector cleaning, and doubt that they even did it. Just stick with the regular recommended services in your manual. Or just peform the tasks yourself, things like changing your oil is pretty.

I just take it to my local mechanic, once and a while Ill get a coupon for a free one from my ford dealer but they always tell me I need things that I dont. Like last week I took it there for an oil change. They told me my ball joints are loose (which they arent) but when I asked them for the price of a wheel bearing he looked shocked to hear that it was bad. Its been bad since april and even the last time I took it there they told me I needed a new one. IDK how they missed it this time.

I take it to the dealership cuz its part of my agreement for free tires. I know I am getting screwed cuz they charge me $10 to rotate my tires everytime I am in.

It's an offer at Landmark Ford In Tigard, OR that when you buy a car or truck there that you get free tires for the life of the car or truck. The catch is that you have to have your car serviced and oil changes done there. Well sounds grat until you add up the tire rotation charge and the markup on there services when you go there. You pay for it in the end but they use it as a big selling point. It's a farst.

I'm still on warranty but try to stick to my Ford dealer for everything simply because I managed to find one that does a good job with reasonable prices. (Really!) The oil change with a lot of free checking like fluids and brakes is $29.95, the fast-lube places are more than that, the closest one to me is $49.
I did all my own work for many years but by the time you go to the parts store to buy the oil and filter, get dirty and have to take the used oil back, it's not worth the $10-15 savings every few months.

wow, 29 $ is super cheap, and even 49 $ is cheap, ,I wouldn't go to either place, bulk oil sucks,
last time i bought oil, it was over $40 just for 5 litres of Mobil 1, for my Ex, ,
than add in a filter , and some grease, and it is more,

I've always changed the oil in my Explorers myself, but whenever I own a car, it seems like more of a hassle. The last two cars I had were both lowered, so that didn't make it any better. My local shop charges $26.95 for an oil change and other fluid inspection/top-off. However, they only carry dino Valvoline and Pennzoil, so I always bring my own oil. They supply a NAPA Gold filter and charge $18 when I bring the oil.

My parents bought a Dodge Nitro back in 2007 and their dealer does $9 oil changes for life. They also offer tires at "cost" for life. Whether or not they're really at cost could be debated, but they have replaced one set so far and it was significantly cheaper than a local tire shop's price.

Back