• Register Today It's free!

servo fix for explorer trans

ronson75

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer exporer
Hi, I am just getting aquainted with the site. I have the servo kit and have successfully removed and replaced the rear servo. The front one I am having trouble getting the pliers even on the ring.
I have only removed the heat shield. To remove the exhaust to better access the ring. What is the best way without breaking the studs off the manifold?
Or is there a set of pliers that may reach it. Any help will be apreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 3rd Gen Sub Forum for better exposure.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

No I am new and not posted before

Thanks I will try, Its been years since I messed with an exhaust manifold. I remember the headache of broken studs. If I cut the wye pipe in the center I am hoping I can weld it back after the job.

what servo are you trying to replace?

I have replaced the rear servo trying to get the front one out.

Thanks semper fi, Originally from Braintree Mass.

i recently had to remove the exhaust to replace my transmission. Those things are on there tight. Easiest way is impact wrench. Doesn't really matter if you break the studs, new one are cheap and screw in.

Most of the time the servo itself is not the probleml once in a blue moon the shaft snaps off but usually it is the case builds up a shoulder in the servo bore that prevents the servo from moving smoothly or the band breaks. What happened that made you replace the servos. Most of the time you get a code for wrong second gear or 5th gear which is the apply of the overdrive band (front band). Sometimes the shift can be so delayed you can feels it but usually the cel is on by then

Thanks Ill give it a shot.

My servos are worn I pulled the rear one and it has worn halfway through, the code was a pressure problem leading me to the servos.

what code did you get> you have me confused. you know if you pull the servo out there s nothing holding the servo strut in place can you give me more details of this problem.

Back