Servo vs Solenoid Block vs Bad tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Servo vs Solenoid Block vs Bad tranny

acv987

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008, Explorer Xlt
I have lurked here for about a month reading through transmission threads and have not came to a conclusions as to what my issues are. Anyhelp would be appreciated. 2008 4.0 explorer 5r55w tranny.

6 or 7 months ago I started noticing a slight hard **** from 2nd to 3rd. Also when cold, if I shift into reverse it sometimes shifts normally, sometimes, acts like its in neutral, and sometimes with shift into reverse, then act like its in neutral for a few seconds, then back into reverse. If I come to a rapid stop then immediately try to move again it will stay stuck in neutral for a few seconds.

After its warmed up it runs fine, no slipping or anything like that. Wondering if its something I can replace like the servos, solenoid block etc, or if im looking at getting a rebuilt transmission. Thanks for any help/

Everything you have described sounds like a low fluid condition, look around for any signs of leaking. I find the cooler line connection at the radiator leak on these quite a bit.

Also to check the transmission fluid you have to check it from underneath with the engine running idling in park. Remove the inner torx plug from the drain plug, fill till it starts to run out of that hole.

By the way welcome to the forum!

Back