servoborefix problem installing new servo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

servoborefix problem installing new servo

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I'm installing new o-ring servos into a 2003 Mountaineer with the 5R55. I'm having a problem getting the new servo in far enough to install a new snap ring. Before beginning work, I adjusted the band to 10 ft/lbs, and then backed the adjuster off a full two turns. I can get the new servo in so far, but just not enough to reveal the snap ring groove. I even backed the adjuster off another 1/2 turn to see if that helped, but no go. Anyone else have this problem, and how to fix? The instructions say not to remove the new servo once it's in place, because it will cut the oring on the way out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tou sure thw servo is seated in the cap??You pushing the cap in with a crowbar using your cats as leverage? ? I just did this job...

Also did you replace the orings on the caps?? I tore one of mine and looking for replacement

the OD servo (larger one) went right in. I've been working on the IM servo. It didn't "nest" in the cap like the OD did. I'm close, but about the thickness of the snap ring away from getting it seated. I am using the block of wood and lever to get it in. They came out so easy, I thought I had it made. Been messing with this one, for about 2 hours now...have to walk away and come back several times.

Hmm not good.i haven't tried to put the caps on because i still need the cap orings.hope mine go in easily. I dont have any other real suggestions for you.hopefully someone chimes in,maybe give them a call on monday

Finally got it. I ended up taking the cap out again, rotating the servo in the bore about 180 degrees, cleaned, re-lubed, and reinstalled the cap. Finally went in after three hours. The original IM servo Wes cracked. Drove it 20 miles, and it shifted like new.

Awesome

Just finished up mine tonight. I went ahead did like you and spun them a little.od went right in and IM took a little more pressure to get it to go in..pretty easy job..

You do a master reset and let it relearn shift points? ?

Back