Set up difference between 4wd and Awd Chassis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Set up difference between 4wd and Awd Chassis

cccampbe

Reaction score
City, State
Shelby, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Mustang GT
I am planning to use an Explorer chassis for a build I am doing using a 1964 f100 body. I intend for the truck to be 4x4.

I plan to use the transmission and transfer case from an early 90's f150 to mate of to a relatively powerful 302 I have built.

I have found a good deal on a 1996 5.0/AWD explorer with a blown motor.

My question is, what are the differences between the 4wd and Awd platforms in the explorers of this year. Are there any disadvantages to me using an AWD chassis?

Other than the transfer case, are the axles and driveline the same? I am planning to only have to fab up cross members to mount the foreign trans/t-case and get custom driveshafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the 5.0L Explorers were all awd. Never made a 4x4 version. I would think it's easier to put a 302 in where a 302 once sat rather than trying to get a 302 in where a 4.0L once sat.

Far as I know it's all the same just a difference transfer case. Some explorers had CAD axles up front but I believe that was the 4x4 gen 1's. But don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure. Someone else will chime in with that info.

My 1999 5.0 AWD Mounty has a hefty link going from the frame just above the forward spring perch to the top of the axle tube by the u-bolts.

My 2000 4.0 SOHC 4WD XLT does not have it.

That's a big difference that would point to the AWD chassis being superior.

Dan

PS: I think some 5.0's were available as RWD.

It seems likely that the AWD as factory-shipped, would not have the vacuum-driven front axle disconnect as the 4X4 did; it would serve no purpose, and negate "AWD" nomenclature. imp

My 1999 5.0 AWD Mounty has a hefty link going from the frame just above the forward spring perch to the top of the axle tube by the u-bolts.

My 2000 4.0 SOHC 4WD XLT does not have it.

That's a big difference that would point to the AWD chassis being superior.

Dan

PS: I think some 5.0's were available as RWD.

That's true I forgot about that. All 5.0's had traction bars to the rear axle. I forget if it was just a bracket or if it was welded on though.

It seems likely that the AWD as factory-shipped, would not have the vacuum-driven front axle disconnect as the 4X4 did; it would serve no purpose, and negate "AWD" nomenclature. imp

The AWD does not have the disconnect. But I don't think all 4x4's had it either. There's a thread somewhere about doing a CAD swap that should answer those questions.

That's true I forgot about that. All 5.0's had traction bars to the rear axle. I forget if it was just a bracket or if it was welded on though.

Bolted on bracket on the frame, my 2000 4.0 has holes in the frame for it. Welded on bracket on the axle tube, my 2000 4.0 doesn't have it.

Makes me wonder if there are any internal differences with the 5.0 rear end . . .

Dan

Back