Seth's 1999 5.0 AWD Limited registry... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seth's 1999 5.0 AWD Limited registry...

Hello Gentlemen!

Pull up a chair and grab a beer. I understand the registry is where we give the who/where/what/when/why of our Explorers. So, here I go...

I recently bought my Explorer:

5.0 V-8
AWD
Limited
White Pearl with Light Prairie Tan pinstripes
Light Prairie Tan Leather interior
Moonroof
MACH audio system

A little history. My Explorer was ordered new near my hometown in midwestern Ohio by an older gentleman. He drove it for a couple of years, then parked it in the garage due to failing health. After he passed away, his family sold it to the Ford dealership in my hometown.

Typical midwestern small town. My mother taught with the wife of the Service Manager, and went to high school with most of the rest of the staff at White's Ford. She had an excellent relationship with them, having bought 4 cars there. When my Explorer came to the dealership, the service manager called Mom to come look at it immediately. She bought it.

Mom used this Explorer as her daily driver. It was loaded and she loved it. Mom took good care of the Explorer, and it only went to the dealership for repairs and maintenance.

2 years ago, Mom bought a 2009 Explorer, so the 1999 became her back up vehicle. Then, she let my little brother use it... :eek:

He didn't abuse the Explorer as much as neglect it. He just drove it. No maintenance, no upkeep. Nothing.

A few months ago, I decided I wanted an Explorer like Mom's. I searched all around my area. Nothing. So, why not just buy Mom's? It took me a little while to convince her, but the Explorer is now mine. :D

Here are some photos to start:

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-6.jpg

Seth K. Pyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More incremental progress...

As of this morning, my Explorer is now officially mine. It is insured and registered in my name. I did all this now so as not to have problems driving it over 500 miles on someone else's insurance and registration.

image-30.jpg

On another note, my Explorer goes to the dealer this morning. I already have nitroglycerin pills and an oxygen tank ready for when I get the repair estimate...

More to come...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Went junkyarding this morning. Among other things, I found an external transmission cooler on a 1999 4dr 4.0 SOHC Explorer. I made sure the fluid was relatively red and chunk free before I pulled the cooler.

Here it is, filled with mineral spirits as part of the flush process. I think it might even fit in my heated ultrasonic cleaner.

image-31.jpg

My intent is to install this cooler on the driver's side of the core support, mimicking the factory trans cooler on my Explorer. I will plumb them in parallel.

Still awaiting word from the dealer on how bad it is going to hurt...

Congrats! Awesome to see the care and work you're putting into this!

I would recommend installing a transmission cooler thermostat if you're plumbing in two trans coolers. The thermostat will allow the trans to warm up to operating temp before opening up the second cooler. This helps prevent wear from cold operation for extended periods of time.

Gimme a sec and I can pull up a link to one... Here ya go.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Hayde...4858655.html?gclid=CODIoIOC5bcCFZBcMgodRzQAtA

You can google and maybe find another brand or something, but that's a good start.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about would be pressure drops from both an external filter and a third trans cooler (you also have a primary one attached to the radiator). Either/or is fine, but I would try calling up a reputable transmission shop and ask their opinion on it.

Other than that, good luck on getting the Ex cleaned up, I'd love to see it fully detailed and back to factory fresh. And thanks for your service!

Hello Obie!

Thanks for replying, and thanks for the complements. I try to take pride in what I do. I don't know about factory fresh, but my Explorer will be a clean, comfortable, presentable daily driver.

I don't necessarily think its going to be a problem, but you bring up a good point. I had not thought of the effect of four items in the trans cooler line circuit: in radiator cooler, external filter, and two external coolers. To my knowledge, this is just a cooling circuit, and not part of the actual hydraulic circuit for the transmission, so I don't think the pressure drop will be a big issue. Also, to my knowledge, the 4R70W has an internal thermostat, and only ports oil to the cooling circuit after the trans warms up.

I will do more research on this. Thanks!

Obie, as well, thank you for your service!

Seth K. Pyle

I saw earlier that you were gonna get reman CV shafts. If you wanna spend just a bit more, brand new Cardone CV shafts are available cheap from RockAuto.com

They build the ones Napa sells, same warranty, just less expensive.

Excellent idea, Obie! For $46 each, can't go wrong.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

Made some progress, some good, some not so good.

While looking at my Explorer photos again, I noticed something. The taillights don't match! The red trim around the reverse light on the driver's side assembly is gone. I bought that light for Mom a few years ago when she kissed a pole. Not sure what has happened now.

image-33.jpg

So, I bought new taillight housings. Always an excuse to buy new parts. :D

image-32.jpg

Since I now have new head/turn/parking/taillight assemblies, I went ahead and ordered a set of replacement fog lights. No photo, yet.

I awoke this evening to two things:

My personalized license plate arrived. 'GSE1SW'. It wasn't my first choice, but I am not going to complain. That was my designator in the Navy.

There was a message from the dealer. The estimate for my Explorer is ready. It will take somewhere north of $2000 to make my Explorer right.
:fire:

On the plus side, it will have:
New (not reman) brake master cylinder and fluid flush
New pads and rotors all around
New upper and lower control arms with ball joints, bushings, caster bolt kits
Alignment
Oil and filter change

I had not wanted to spend this kind of money now, but so be it. I had intended to do all of the above in due time. Oh well...

More to come...

Seth K. Pyle

image-34.jpg

New fog lamps!

Hmmm...I now have lots of pieces and parts for my Explorer, but no Explorer.

All that will change in about 5 days...

Seth K. Pyle

image-35.jpg

Its mine! Picked up my Explorer from the dealership today.

Inspections, button-pushing, and getting to know my Explorer to come...

image-36.jpg

My Explorer at its new home...

Well, after driving 600 miles, here is what I have learned:

BAD:

-Interior is FILTHY!!!
-exterior is FILTHY!!! A quickie hand car wash did not help much. The paint will need to have the hell clay barred out of it...
-Tires are wasted. There was a vibration in the front end due to the worn front tires.
-lower bushing wasted on driver's side lower door hinge. Door lines up properly when closed, but I will replace the lower hinge ASAP.
-left rear door latch electrical switch has issues. As a result, the 'DOOR AJAR' light stays illuminated. In Ohio, I liberally hosed down all the door and hatch latches with WD-40. I expect to have to replace the left rear door latch
-A/C refrigerant might need topping off. It blows cold, but I think it could blow colder. I just have to put my gauges on the system and go from there.
-head unit display rarely works. I will be sending the head unit to Mike in South Carolina for the display power supply fix.
-rear suspension sags a little. I am going to install a new set of rear shocks and go from there
-underside of the Explorer is quite rusty...dammit

GOOD:

-runs like a top! 550 miles home with ZERO issues. 75-80mph, A/C on, averaged 17.4MPG
-V-8 has more power than I expected. It ran 80mph with no problem.
-all the buttons, knobs, whistles, etc work... I am addicted to the steering wheel controls for the radio and HVAC, they are great!
-the MACH audio system and CD changer work and sound better than I expected. I had planned on replacing all the speakers and the sub, then installing an iPod interface module. Not a priority anymore...
-rides, drives, and handles great

My Explorer is now my daily driver. I will be doing repairs and upgrades as I go.

Seth K. Pyle

image-37.jpg

Tuesday morning, I had a new set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires fitted to my Explorer. Much better! Vibration in the front end is gone. Cost me $800, but I am happy.

On a side note, in Ohio, I had to swap a tire. My brother had one new Falken tire fitted to the driver's side rear wheel. He meant well, but the different diameter between the one new tire and three worn out tires meant the AWD transfer case wasn't going to make it to South Carolina. So, I swapped the local tire shop even up for mounting and balancing a used Cooper to match the other three.

After work this morning, I am off to SEARS for a new DieHard Platinum battery. I put one in my little S-10 several months ago, and have been quite pleased.

On the way home from getting new tires, I had a happy surprise. The 'DOOR AJAR' light had gone out. At home, I liberally hosed all the door and hatch latches with WD-40 again, then opened and closed each door several times. The light stayed off with all the doors closed.

I can now use the interior lights and the automatic headlamps. Yay!
:D

Seth K. Pyle

Yeah, I know there is corrosion on the aluminum rims. I will probably start searching for a nicer set.

image-38.jpg

Out with the old...

image-39.jpg

In with the new!

That is the last of the 'gotta do' items. The rest is 'wanna do' items.

Seth K. Pyle

Nice work Seth... Looks like you're plugging along quite well as you progress through your plan!

Thanks for the kind words about Deuce and my trials and tribulations- it was truly stuff I loved doing, and it was sure worth it when everything was done. It's not really that difficult, just time consuming and tedious, especially if you get to q-tips. :shifty_ey

If you're interested in more detailing tips, the Meguiars online forum is a really great resource, as the factory techs are among the very active posters over there. Great site, almost as good as here. Almost... :)

Thanks for the support, Joe! Truthfully, I found your saga of Duece pretty inspiring. Gave me confidence that I could tackle my own Explorer.

Many thanks for the idea to visit the Meguiar's forum. I was about to hit you up for interior detailing pointers. Mine is in relatively good condition, just filthy. I have no problem with time consuming and tedious. It is what it is.

Good luck selling Duece!

Seth K. Pyle

So, after living with my Explorer for a week, here are some random observations...

-brakes are awesome!!! I only had a new M/C, rotors, and pads installed. Truck stops with authority. Calipers are quite crusty, though and I have not yet screwed up the courage to attempt to set the parking brake.

-seats are quite stuffed and a little stiff. I am 6'2". It feels like I am sitting on the seat as opposed to sitting in them. I look out through the top blue strip in the windshield. If I slouch a little, I see more. Lumbar support is deflated, seat is as far back and down as it will go, with a little lean back going on.

-power antenna quit working. I checked the service manual, but have not yet gone out to see if the drive cable has broken.

-WHOLE LOTTA surface rust underneath. Mom wasn't kidding when she said she never met a snowstorm she didn't like. Snow in Ohio means salt. Dammit...
I don't think any of it is structural, but I have a lot of work to do.

-Front differential pinion seal is leaking. Great...

-rear view mirror auto dim feature doesn't work. At least I don't see it shifting. Layer of grime on the inside of all the windows might have something to do with that...Mom and brother are heavy smokers.
:mad:

-call me a throwback, but I love the 6-disc CD changer.

-my wife is even a little impressed by my Explorer. That is saying something.

I drove my S-10 yesterday to move some fencing. Man, what a difference... I am so spoiled for my Explorer now!

Seth K. Pyle

Sweet!

Hello All!

Sorry I haven't updated this recently. Been busy with home, work, etc...

I have gotten a little bit done to my Explorer and am preparing to do a lot more.

2013-08-04017.jpg

2013-08-04024.jpg

I love the moonroof, it is rarely closed.

2013-08-04020.jpg

New taillights, and they match!

Unfortunately, my Explorer is rustier underneath than I had hoped. There are two real areas of concern for me. The rockers are rusted through in front of the rear wheels. Also, the body seams in the floors outside of the frame rails are rough. Everything else is nasty surface rust.

So be it. I will deal with it. To my knowledge, repair panels are available for the rockers.

2013-08-04066.jpg

2013-08-04106.jpg

2013-08-04070.jpg

Oil on bottom of differential housing is from leaking pinion seal. I am keeping it topped off for now, until I can get the seal changed. Oil on pan is from drain plug. I have since fitted a new metal ringed rubber washer.

2013-08-04069.jpg

2013-08-04068.jpg

2013-08-04067.jpg

Oil on Y-pipe is from front pinion seal.

2013-08-04064.jpg

2013-08-04065.jpg

2013-08-04072.jpg

2013-08-04090.jpg

I have not done any major work yet, just a bunch of little things:

-added a can of R134a to A/C. Cools better now

-had the Mach head unit display power supply repaired

-determined the power antenna mast has a broken drive cable

-replaced both corroded mid mount body to frame ground straps

-drained and refilled the AWD transfer case. It was full, but the fluid was dirty. I refilled it with conventional Mercon. I will dump and refill it twice more, then refill it with Mobil Mercon V.

-changed the engine oil after 3000 miles. It will now go for two 1000 mile oil changes with motor flush, then mineral 5W-30. this is for sludge removal. After all that, it will get filled with Mobil 1 5W-30 and NAPA Gold oil filter.

-changed the fuel filter

-pumped out the P/S fluid reservoir. Oil was dirty. Refilled with conventional Mercon. I will do this weekly for awhile, then finally refill it with Mobil Mercon V

-sprayed down the engine compartment and P/S rack area with Simple Green, then lightly pressure washed them. Much better, though a deep cleaning will happen at some point

-investigated the parking brake system:
Pedal pushes down and encounters resistance. However, the light does not come on, and there is no braking
Pedal switch was dirty and sticking, which is why the light would not come on. Cleaned the switch
Driver's side rear cable is kinked, rusted, and the cable to frame locator spring is broken
Passenger's side rear cable is free, I can see the end of the cable move at the brake
Driver's side parking brake shoes are a blob of rust with ZERO friction material. Didn't even bother looking at the passenger's side

-front sway bar end links are worn out and loose. All other sway bar bushings and such, front and rear, look rough

-determined drive mechanism for the rear window wiper is broken. Motor runs, arm does not move

Now, having said all this, my Explorer runs like a top! I drive it back and forth to work every day with NO issues. Engine runs great, trans shifts smoothly. I get anywhere from 16 to 17mpg, as per the message center display, depending upon where my foot is.
All of the lift struts on the hood, rear glass, and lift gate still work! Though, I am looking at the RedLine hood strut kit.

I have purchased the following parts, in no particular order:

-8 Autolite APP-104 spark plugs
-NAPA Belden Edge 700060 plug wire set (personal choice)
-Motorcraft complete PCV valve, hose, grommet kit
-bottle SeaFoam
-new Motorcraft rear wiper motor and mounting bracket
-Motorcraft updated rear wiper arm
-6 linkage clips for the lift gate latch rods
-parking brake shoes and hardware kit
-Raybestos, NAPA, Motorcraft front and rear sway bar bushings, end links, and rear link rebuild kits
-driver's side door hinge bushing kits
-Monroe Reflex front shocks
-Monroe Load Leveler coil over rear shocks
-Timken front axle pinion seal
-Fel-Pro throttle body gaskets
-USA Spec PA11-Ford1 iPod interface adapter

I have a few things I have to wrap up at home before I can really get to work on my Explorer.

I'll keep posting as I go.

Seth K. Pyle

Back