Setina PB400 - Steel or aluminum, pros/cons? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setina PB400 - Steel or aluminum, pros/cons?

Nibroc99

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 PIU Base
Hi all, I really have a few questions here...

1. I've only seen one short thread talking about this first question. I'm looking to get a Setina PB400 for my 2013 Base PIU. I plan to use it to push vehicles if needed (my sister drives a Jeep and it's always breaking down lol, I've had to tow it many times when pushing it would have been easier), and mainly to mount my LED light bar. Also for potential protection against deer and small collisions like bumping into a snowbank in the winter, stuff like that, just in case. I also live in the rust belt, so I'm not sure if that should have any weight in my decision. Should I go for the steel option or the aluminum one? They both appear to be the same price from Fleet Safety/Dana. Is it worth it to get the PIT and headlight wing bars if the price is no concern? Would something else be more worth it to suit the needs I stated above?

2. Another question - I like being able to see the top of the push bar to be able to judge more precisely how close I am to an object, like on the Westin Sportsman model brush guards how they have the dual-bars on the top rail. Can you see the top of the PB400 over the hood typically?

3. What is usually a good spot to mount a light bar switch on these PIUs? Is it usually ideal to make a light switch panel rather than installign the switch directly into the dash? I don't have the sync model if that helps. I've got plenty of experience working on vehicles and modifying them but this is my new baby and I want to do things right, just wanna see what other people have done that works. I've heard that the panels can be difficult to get off sometimes on the dash, so I just don't want to end up disassembling the whole damn dashboard just to install one measly switch.

I'll be installing the thing myself regardless, and I'm ready to put blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle down the road haha. If anyone has any tips about mods that I can make that are useful for functionality by all means let me know!

Thanks in advance everybody!

1. Aluminum - lighter (at least that's what I opted for)
2. No - you can't see the push bumper
3. Mount it into your center console (that's where I have all my switches)

Back