Setting and checking timing on 2002 4.6 L engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setting and checking timing on 2002 4.6 L engine

KA3NXN

It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
Hey Guys,

I was in the process of taking things apart to replace the timing chains and all related components because I had a horrible chain slap that the right side chain was rubbing so much that it made a hole in the timing cover.

My question here is the about making sure that I am timed properly before I try and do more damage than already has been done.

The truck was running fine when I took it apart to do the job . When I took the cover off I am going to assume the the the engine was still in proper timing. The part that has me boggled is the black links on new chains will not line up with the timing marks on the sprockets.

One person told me to take the plugs out of the engine and tighten all the new timing components properly and just turn the engine by hand to see if it locks up anywhere. Is this good enough to make sure I didn't screw anything up?

What else can I do to make sure the timing is set properly?

What am I doing wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you set the crank keyway straight up? Put a wrench of the end of the cam and move it where it needs to be. When they keyway is up you can move the cams without touching pistons and valves.

99A9183A-07F3-4634-ACE6-25DCDD07126C.jpeg
Like this?

Did you lock the cams in place before removing the tensioners and chain?

C9F59253-8FE2-44B3-AE31-197541C2590E.jpeg
I really need a response from anyone on this question. I installed the new guides and tensioners. All the timing marks line up perfectly. The only thing that has me concerned is as you can see by the picture the right side chain still has slack in it. When I crank the engine by hand the right side tightens right up and then loosens like in the picture. The left side stays tight at all times. I cranked the engine by hand several times until the timing marks line up and they are right on the money.

Any idea why the right chain won’t stay tight?

Thank you

Jaime.

View attachment 170860 I really need a response from anyone on this question. I installed the new guides and tensioners. All the timing marks line up perfectly. The only thing that has me concerned is as you can see by the picture the right side chain still has slack in it. When I crank the engine by hand the right side tightens right up and then loosens like in the picture. The left side stays tight at all times. I cranked the engine by hand several times until the timing marks line up and they are right on the money.

Any idea why the right chain won’t stay tight?

Thank you

Jaime.
Do you have the same amount of links on both sides of the timing marks?

Yes

C5D9E983-69FB-48C0-8046-36F9D6831E83.jpeg
As you can see on the posted picture I took the chain out and laid it flat and there are 28 links on each side of the black links so they are set up correctly.

Could it be that since there is no oil pressure because I’m cranking the engine by hand that the piston is not fully engaging on the tensioner to keep the chain tight?

Could it be that since there is no oil pressure because I’m cranking the engine by hand that the piston is not fully engaging on the tensioner to keep the chain tight?

Correct, the cam is overpowering the tensioner without oil pressure.

Ahhh ok. So just let it be. As long as the timing points lineup just let it go correct? Sometimes I tend to over analyze things and get myself in trouble. But it’s better to ask then to replace an engine.

Yes you are good to go. Definitely better to ask questions than second guess down the road.

Thank you so very very much

Have a great weekend

Jaime

Back