SEVERAL questions from the newbie!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SEVERAL questions from the newbie!!!

sethsport

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa beach fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sporttrac xlt 4x4
Hello, new owner of a 2003 adrenalin 4x4, power everything, sunroof, the whole shebang. Well, I've got a few questions considering the previous owner did change some things so I have no idea what's stock, what's not. Etc, any info would be greatly appreeshed.

1) there's two mtx amps behind the back passenger seat and a big black thing behind the back drivers side seats. I'm pretty sure the black box runs the cd/DVD which is aftermarket but it is a pioneer and I've read that there was a pioneer package with this vehicle, there are two pioneer tweeters in the door, I haven't checked the regular speakers yet to see if they are pioneer as well. There's a sub under the back passenger seat and an 8 disc CD player in the middle console ( which doesn't work)...aside from the cd/DVD player,
Are these stock? And did it take place of where my jack would be? BecAuse I haven't found a jack in this vehicle yet, where should the jack be located?

2) there was a leak in the back which I narrowed down to the 3rd brake light, I siliconed the seams to stop the leak and I can't find where to buy the gasket anywhere, where can I get one?

3) the truck has a viper alarm that just really pisses me off, was that stock? And how do I get rid of it? ( it doesn't work quite right and it goes off even if I try to wash the truck)

4) how do I figure out the keyless entry code, or how do I reprogram it? And also because it has the viper alarm, stock or not,does it bypass the keyless entry? as in because I have the viper alarm can I not use the keyless entry?

Thank you all in advance, my experience so far with this forum the past few weeks has been super helpful and informative, so glad you're here and I hope to be of help in time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only help you with #4 , assuming the code is located in the same place as on an '01.

Drop the glove box to the floor (squeeze the sides to get it past the stops). Remove the passenger side air bag (two 10mm bolts over the glove box). Behind the air bag you'll see a cream colored plastic box. That's your RAP module. It has a sticker with the 5 digit door code on it in large black numbers. You'll have to remove the retaining screws and pull it out to see the sticker.

Tip: If your truck came with the owner's manual, first look for a plastic card that should be in the bag. It will have the code on it.

BTW, read you owner's manual regarding the things you can do via the key pad.

I cannot speak much for all of the audio equipment but you do have a lot of aftermarket parts!
If I remember correctly the disk changer that came from the factory was all in the head unit but the two MTX amps behind the passenger rear seat is where your jack should have been. From the factory alot of us had a basic subwoofer behind the drivers rear seat.
Ford might not offer the gasket separate from the lamp assembly so high quality RTV gasket maker might be a good option
http://www.oemfordpart.com/ford/exp...ted-stop-lamp-scat/?part_name=high-mount-lamp
The viper alarm is certainly not stock but removal will require a wiring diagram so it would be worth finding the control box and writing down the model number to see if the manual can be found online.

Try this for programming your keypad
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283341&highlight=keypad+programming

welcome to the madness:salute:

I spoke with a ford dealership and he said the only way to get a gasket is to buy an entire unit at 120 bucks... No thanks, I think what I've already done is sufficient, I might eventually do it up even more overkill with some RTV down the line. He also said it'd be about 50 bucks to do the programming on the keyless entry which may be worth it to me considering I have no idea where the code is located in the vehicle or how to get to it even if I did, not to mention the time it would take. I'm a single dad with a 1 1/2 year old kid who's my clone so my time is taken up chasing him around. And he said 150 to remove the alarm system, I've got a couple new key fobs on the mail so I'll see how they work and if it just keeps pissing me off like it has that 150.00 might be worth it. And thanks for clearing up the issue with the jack, I figured that was where it was supposed to go. Too bad I figured out I had no jack after I had a flat from mudding out in canaveral groves which is not a mud hole to be underestimated... Learned that the hard way :b

I spoke with a ford dealership and he said the only way to get a gasket is to buy an entire unit at 120 bucks... No thanks, I think what I've already done is sufficient, I might eventually do it up even more overkill with some RTV down the line. He also said it'd be about 50 bucks to do the programming on the keyless entry which may be worth it to me considering I have no idea where the code is located in the vehicle or how to get to it even if I did, not to mention the time it would take. I'm a single dad with a 1 1/2 year old kid who's my clone so my time is taken up chasing him around. And he said 150 to remove the alarm system, I've got a couple new key fobs on the mail so I'll see how they work and if it just keeps pissing me off like it has that 150.00 might be worth it. And thanks for clearing up the issue with the jack, I figured that was where it was supposed to go. Too bad I figured out I had no jack after I had a flat from mudding out in canaveral groves which is not a mud hole to be underestimated... Learned that the hard way :b

It takes less than 10 mins to remove the RAP module to get the door code. If you'd rather pay Ford the $50, that's up to you.

Perfect, I'll try and find some time to get up in there, and then I can figure out if the aftermarket viper alarm had done anything to the operability of the factory keyless entry and I'll let y'all know

Holy crap they want $120 for the third brake light?? There's only about a million different kinds of those you can get for our trucks because they're the same as the superdutys since like 99. Definitely don't need to pay over $50 for a complete replacement. As for the alarm, there was one in my truck when I bought it and got it removed for free from a car audio shop. I feel your pain on that, aftermarket alarm systems are such a joke and just annoying. If someone wants your car they're going to get it either way.

I rtv'd the third brake light and it hasn't leaked since. I also pulled the code from behind the rap module but the alarm still goes off. I'm getting that thing removed ASAP

I have an 04 ST, and needed the door codes. If i remember right, i was able to get the codes by lifting up the dashboard trim piece with the defrost vents in it and looking down through my windshield. Took about five minutes.

Back