Sew....what do you all do in your spare time? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Sew....what do you all do in your spare time?

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
I had to use that old line...as I am a retired professional seamstress... :p:

I was just wondering if any of you ladies had made quilts of your, or your S/Os rigs? I was thinking about doing up one of a friends truck...I think he'd like it.

Anyways, nowadays, I sew for pleasure, quilt and do bits and pieces of clothing for SCA and Re-Enactors as well as personal clothing...

So, anyone else have a hobby they'd like to chat about?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Bump sounds like this is becoming a lost art?

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Either that or the ladies are simply not doing much of this sort of thing...or aren't checking the forums?

Guess quilting and such comes with old age! :p:

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
I sew! lol I make flags, custom hand quilted quilts, custom shirts. I also knit! Crochet,needlepoint, blah blah blah he he he. If it requires a needle of any sort I do it!
Zukman's wifey!

Khiori

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Toyota Tacoma
I LOVE all things fiber!! I quilt, sew, knit, crochet, learning to spin, re-purpose, weave (a little), just got a serger (wheeee!!!), cross stitch, etc etc etc etc....

This coming year I am planning on throwing myself into clothing construction. I did learn to make underwear but my first attempt at bra construction was hilarious. :D

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
WOW!!! You all are sew talented!

I am glad that fiber artists are still around...was feeling a bit lonely...or is that *Looney* :p:

And for the record, my hubby not only crochets, but he also sews, when he has to... LOL

Bill, the Tikis are awesome! You have a great talent there, keep it up! Hubby likes/wants to learn to carve wood, but hasn't followed through with it yet...

My next few months are going to be full of cleaning and resorting and working on my sewing area, so that I can get the (several) quilts done I have started collecting fabrics for...I enjoy that part almost as much as the designing and sewing.

Oh, and if anyone has any sewing, clothing construction or similar questions, just holler...I have been sewing for nearly 35 years now, and if I don't know, I will do my best to find out.

Khiori

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks for the offer to help. I know I will have questions once I get started. I already ran into a couple during the whole Bra fiasco thingie ;)

Will you post pictures of your quilts?

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Khiori,

I sure will, and please feel free to email me if you get stuck on anything, seriously. I work part time so am online quite a bit.

Here is a couple of pics of some fabric I am working with to make my mom a quilt. She is an RN but due to health issues had to retire early...

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5509/drsnursescloseup2fb7.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8246/happynursesjc5.jpg

She has black and red in her living room, so for mixing fabrics I am hoping it matches well with her decor. It should be really cute when I get done...

I also have two others in the works that are going to be both fun and challenging. One is for a friend who loves kitties...and the other is for another friend, who also loves kitties. The first wants fun *Stylized* and the second wants *natural* looking cats/kittens.

Will post more pics as time and work progresses.

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I split the rear end out of a pair of jeans the other day (don't ask) and sewed them back together. I remembered enough from home economics class in junior high to repair them back good enough to have "work only" status. ;)

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Mike, Good for you! I would love to see more men admit to being able to work with needle arts...I basically taught hubby so in case something happened to me, and I had an order that had to go out...well you get the idea. But he also did a lot of his own sewing in the 18 years of military he did...and crocheting as well.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
BB glad to see you helping her as well as being handy with a needle. As I said, wish more guys were into doing that...or those who do, were into admitting it. :p:

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Jon, Hell Yes! You were sewing! :p: Next time, wear a thimble. They make nice leather ones that are big enough for most guys fingers.

Khiori

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Toyota Tacoma
I sent you a PM, Rhainy!

smtcapecod

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I stitched a new Wheelskins cover onto the Exploder's wheel...third time and I still got the lacing wrong! Extra diameter is nice though.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I've been doing some more sewing lately. I fixed the hem on my wife's skirt on the sewing machine, and converted a long sleeve shirt into a short sleeve shirt because the sleeves were ripped. I fixed a button on another shirt today.