• Register Today It's free!

sh*tty idle problem

dmc80

Reaction score
City, State
chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt ohv
I have read as much as i can on this but still hav'nt resolved..99 ohv already replaced plugs,wires, dpfe sensor and tubes, coolant temp sensor, pcv valve, replaced maf, and clean iac, had injectors cleaned. does the lower intake fix apply to the ohv's? its about the only thing i hav'nt done.
Frustrated to no end!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The IAC cleaning is kind of tricky to get right I have found-
pay attention to the rod and spring which slide back and forth-you want them to be free of dirt, and the rod to slide freely-
with spring on the left, while looking inside it-push the rod to the right. now, clean it until the spring will push it that far on it's own. If it will not, then you will need a new IAC valve.

Oh
does the "check engine" light illuminate?

does it illuminate with the rest of the bulbs during the key on test?

CEL was on before cleaning and hasn't returned, but hasnt been driven much..I did notice the dirt inside and will clean more thoroghly. CEL cleared cuz neg cable removed for about 3 hrs.

The IAC may not throw a CEL. I'd consider replacing the IAC before doing the intake gasket.

describe your crappy idle please

Idle doesnt matter anymore, just bought iac at autozone and wrecked in to a tree.. good ol chicago sno storm..now i need a bumper, grill and hood

i'm fine.. just pissed i was close to figuring out my issue and now i cant get my hood open

UPDATE!!!
Finally Rebuilt front end with new bumper, grill and Hood($350). I replaced the iac and also replaced the maf again. Ran like new for two days. Cel came on again. Even though its running good I have emission tests in my area so it needs to be fixed. I'm assuming its the same codes and will have them checked when i return my core maf. With my OHV, is the intake gasket replacement usually the tops or bottoms, not trying to be lazy, but its only 12 degrees out now and my garage is not the warmest place.

Back