• Register Today It's free!

Shackle Install

MustangAndy

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
Was a '99 Sport
I just picked up a set of Warrior shackles for my X.

My question is, is there is a certain angle that I need to be installed at? I've seen them at varying angles on other member's X's. Some swing further to the rear bumper others seem to be closer to the axle.

Next step after this will be the TT obviously, but I read the sticky for that so no problems there.

Researched shackle:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111067
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165125
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48965 (picture one)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shackel will move back or forth depending on the degree of incline you are on. If the shakle does not move you will have problems.

shackle angle isnt an issue here...the only time you have to worry bout the shackle angle is when you make your own mount to the frame...

yup, just bolt them on and they'll go how they need to go

I have a follow up question.....

What way do these go on? There's a short side & a long side. Which way do I install it?

Thanks

OK. Thanks guys. Now I just have to wait for some warmer weather. Mud Bug 94 should know what I'm talking about. He's only a few miles away. :D

I have a follow up question.....
What way do these go on? There's a short side & a long side. Which way do I install it?

Thanks

I read this in one of the other threads:

addkev said:
.....The longer end of the shackle bolts to the frame and the shorter side to the spring. That is to allow a full range of motion, otherwise the brace of the shackle will hit the frame under full compression.

mustang andy, this 12 degree weather is a bummer...it dont stop me tho..(this week so far) sunday i did my radius arm bushings, monday made and installed 5-3/4 inch longer shackles, tuesday did a brake line and added a second tranny cooler and wednesday i mounted 4 32 inch mud terrains onto my other wheels(by hand...3 prybars) and got um on the truck, thursday i did front brakes... all in my driveway which =no heat or wind protection. did I mention i was alone?

Ah ok I found it.

Thank for the help. Install was easy. The 1st suspension mod for me that was easy. Nuts came right off. Bolts cams right out. Install took 30min including jacking & taking the wheels off.

nice work! took me 30 minutes as well.....check the torque on them after 500 miles or so just to be safe, mine were still tight 100% which is the nature of self lockinh nuts, but hey safety first!

yea if the nuts arent ruted, and the sleeve in the bushings areent seized, its a 10 min per side job.

yea if the nuts arent ruted, and the sleeve in the bushings areent seized, its a 10 min per side job.

It might it be a problem for me then. Maybe. We shall see

The whole undercarrige is solid rust. The paint is peeling off all the components and rust is setting in. I'ma have to pick-up some of that P.O.R. spray-paint.

It might it be a problem for me then. Maybe. We shall see

The whole undercarrige is solid rust. The paint is peeling off all the components and rust is setting in. I'ma have to pick-up some of that P.O.R. spray-paint.

Go get a can of PB Blaster and really soak the nuts/bushings and bolts down for a couple of days before you do the install. PB Blaster is one of the best penetrating oils out there, and it should help free up the bolts. The biggest problem will probably be getting the bolts out of the sleeves....

Would WD-40 work the same? I have that on-hand.

Or where can I get PB Blaster?

Would WD-40 work the same? I have that on-hand.

Or where can I get PB Blaster?

WD-40 is a lousy penetrating oil...doesn't even come close to PB Blaster. You can find PB Blaster at most auto stores. I get it from Advance Auto. It's in a Yellow/white/red can.

pb blaster rules...BTW, por is def a good idea specialy in nj ifyou dont there will be nothing left in 5 years... ever notice that Mustang Andy,?

Edit..mine came out of the sleeves by hand

OK bought a can of that PB Blaster and doused the shackles last night.

Then doused again this morning before dentist, court, and Firestone dealer.

Then once I got back from the Firestone dealer (Spare tire was on recall and was on the list, so I gots a new Destination A/T) I hit each shackle a few times with a hammer, :hammer: to knock any loose rust off. What an underestimate. I have a rather large pile of rust and paint from each side. Some quite large chunks, too. :( Guess they were worse than I thought. Good thing I bought the new ones. I bought to lift the X some, now it's more for safety reasons as well.

Mud Bug 94 said:
BTW, por is def a good idea specialy in nj ifyou dont there will be nothing left in 5 years... ever notice that Mustang Andy,?
Can't say I have. We used to get rid of our cars by 75,000 miles. Also, I never spent alot of time under them until now. The X is the first vehicle in the house with more than 75/80,000 miles.

its the salt they use on the roads so wash the x alot in the winter...salt eats metal

Update

Just thought I'd update this post:

Well it's only been 2 months but I finnaly got around to installing these things. Took me about 45mins with my mechanicly challenged brother. But I also got a new X in that time. The old one developed an over heating problem which led to a misfire so I got rid of it before the next major headache happened.

Install couldn't have been any smoother. Didn't even need any WD40/PBblaster. just a rachet with a short piece of old exhaust pipe for a cheater bar to get the old nuts started. I was quite fortunate that the bolts weren't seized up to the bushings. They slid out with a little persuashion from my friend Mr. :hammer: The old shackles are still in great shape so i'm gonna scrape the old paint off and repaint them in case I need them in the future.

First pic is stock second is shackled. Don't think I'll TT it just yet it seems to sit just about level.

Attachments

• 53400139_s.jpg
    53400139_s.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 53400142_s.jpg
    53400142_s.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 220

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet, now you gotta change your signature:thumbsup:

Back