shackles broke, cant get top bolt out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shackles broke, cant get top bolt out

Electrohacker

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clinton Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 4WD
how do you remove the top bolt? the new doorman kit comes with the top bushing so I assume you have to remove the whole thing somehow...

also they included a steel bushing to replace the one in the leaf. I could clean up the old one and reuse it, but it would be nice to just replace it.

I need my truck back fro tomorrow or else I'll be driving 40mph with no shackle (seemed to do it today by accident with no issue)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sunday funday bump because I need an answer

i would cut it off with a hacksaw or angle grinder if the new one has a new bushing,,

do you have a photo bucket account so you can post a picture of the trouble spot ?

air hammer

DID that

I'm gunna cut the other side off and take out the spare tire so I can get a better angle fro the air hammer and the drill if it becomes necessary

I used a combination of torching and mini sledge/prybar to get mine off. Since then I have purchased an air chisel to make it easier. You should note that torching WILL melt the rubber bushing. As obvious as this should be, I've seen people torch brake lines ......... O.O

Back