• Register Today It's free!

Shackles & TT w/Stock Tires

Fishrising

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Anyone have pics of what a shackle & tt lift look like with stock size tires (15" rims)? I tried searching, but came up with almost what I was looking for, but not quite exactly what I was looking for.

I am curious if looks funny or ok?

I am 6'7" and don't want to have to sit down to get in my "X," and I also want to level out the rear, but I do not want new tires......

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a comparison shot of my 99 with the warriors with stock tires verse my 98 with out warriors and stock tires. My 99 came with 235s stock the 98 had 245s stock. Comparison They were the same hight both front and back before I started changing the 99.

Splashman,

Thanks for the pics! I think I am going to do the TT and shackles (or addaleaf), and retain my stock tires (for now). Maybe after the warranty is up I will go big...

I just had the deathstones replaced at the dealer, because I didn't feel like going through the reimbursement process if I bought larger tires, plus the drop in mileage, plus the cost to fix the speedometer, plus the loss in power (I already have too little with OHV).

Thanks again! Anyone else, please leave your opinion on stock tires with a TT and shackles...will I gain more articulation if I just do the TT & shackles (w/o larger tires)?

If you do the TT/Shackle lift, your stock tires are going to look funny. I did the tt/shackle about 3 weeks ago. It looked terrible with stock tires. Made it look like I was riding on bicycle tires! I replaced the stock tires last week with 265/70/17 (31.8 diameter). IMO, you should have gotten some bigger tires from reimbursement. I havent seen any loss of power and my speedometer is only off when I get up to like 70mph I am really going like 74.

Hope this helps,
Grant-P

Hey, I thought you had to get the replacement tires when you trade in your firestones.? I didnt know that I could opt for larger tires and get some money back? How does that work?

Danny-
If you havent traded in your firestones yet...dont do it at ford..

go to ANY place you can find tires that you like. Even if you arent goin to do a lift, at least put something a little bigger on than stock!
Once the place puts on the new tires, you take your receipt to a ford dealership with the firestones. They will mail everything in to ford and then after a couple weeks you will receive a check for $110 per tire if you have 15's or $130 if you have 16"s.

Grant-P

Hey, it's possible that you may even get more than that for your tires. In my case, I think they reimbursed me for the mounting/balancing costs or something, because when I took my dad's 98 E.B. Expedition (with the 16's) and got new tires (at Sun Tire, not the Ford Dealership as I got annoyed with waiting on the never-ending list after a couple weeks), they sent a check for 600 dollars even. We weren't exactly complaining, because we got a set of Toyo's on sale for 90 bucks a piece (compared to the usual 125 per tire), and got free mounting/balancing, etc. Moral of the story: Who cares, I made 240 dollars for doing nothing!

Fantasymon

I think you are mistaken... the amount that the spedo is off should not change, or only kick in at a higher speed... it should be an amount or percentage if you will that is directly proportianate to the speed you are doing. Thus, it will not change with the speed variable, it will remain a constant variance.

Just go to www.4lo.com , it has a calculator that lets you figure out speed differences when you change tire sizes, or gears.

Back