• Register Today It's free!

Shake or shimmy in front end.

jumpervb

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke,va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT & 2011 XLT
I think it's in the rack. Shimmys from side to side. Can't really feel it in the steering wheel but you can feel it in the floor board.
Any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealer soon and have already been told once they couldn't replicate so they did nothing. Complained when I received a questionaire about the service. Now they seem real eager to find out what's wrong.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's in the rack. Shimmys from side to side. Can't really feel it in the steering wheel but you can feel it in the floor board.
Any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealer soon and have already been told once they couldn't replicate so they did nothing. Complained when I received a questionaire about the service. Now they seem real eager to find out what's wrong.......

My 2012 Explorer has a similar sounding problem. My shimmy occurs at certain highway speeds and is like an out-of-balance tire. This has been there since day one. My dealer replaced one of the tires (Hankook 20s) and road force balanced the rest. These actions reduced the vibrations, but did not eliminate the shimmy. They believe the remaining vibration is normal and comes from flat spotting of the tires after they rest. There is probably some truth to this because my vibrations are worse before the tires warm, but since these vibrations never fully go away there is something else wrong. Please let us know if your dealer finds the cause of your Shimmy.

Respectfully,
xplanfan

My 2012 Explorer has a similar sounding problem. My shimmy occurs at certain highway speeds and is like an out-of-balance tire.
Respectfully,
xplanfan

No, mine only shimmys or shakes when pulling off from a stop. Will do it when going straight or when going to left or right and not every time.
Goes away after 2-3 seconds.
It's not torque steer. It does not pull to either side. Just shakes from side to side.

I have a 2013 and have the same issue. The front end shimmys during take off for about the first 2-3 seconds (5 - 15 mph). This happens intermittantly. I asked the dealer about it and they said that it's caused by the advanced traction control system...so, I left scratching my head at that answer. In other words, they had no idea or didn't feel like delving into the problem. Please keep us updated on your progress with the dealer.

I have a 2013 and have the same issue. The front end shimmys during take off for about the first 2-3 seconds (5 - 15 mph). This happens intermittantly. I asked the dealer about it and they said that it's caused by the advanced traction control system...so, I left scratching my head at that answer. In other words, they had no idea or didn't feel like delving into the problem. Please keep us updated on your progress with the dealer.

So they say it's traction control? If that is something they say it is going to do why are we the only 2 on here that has complained about it?

The ex I used to have did the same thing with all traction aids turned off no difference .they told that they would monitor it for any changes. Traded it in I was tired of all the issues of this vehicle .

...Can't really feel it in the steering wheel but you can feel it in the floor board.
Any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealer soon...
It’s good you have an appointment with your dealer, jumpervb. I have your details from before, so drop a line via PM and I’ll lend a hand.

My 2012 Explorer has a similar sounding problem...
xplanfan,

I escalated your case before; please shoot me a message and I’ll arrange another follow-up call.

I have a 2013 and have the same issue...
I want to see this resolved, splurph16; I recommend showing the dealer what you’re experiencing. Please also send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage so I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your region.

Cory

That's what I've been told. "they all do it" which is fine if that is true. They have had the shop foreman and an engineer out in it and have invited me to drive another explorer to see that it's normal for it to shimmy like that.
Trouble of it is it seems to be getting worse, not staying the same.....
We shall see, I just want it documented so I'll have it to reference if it keeps getting worse.
Anybody else have this shimmy? If they all do it I cannot imagine it not being mentioned here.

No, mine only shimmys or shakes when pulling off from a stop. Will do it when going straight or when going to left or right and not every time.
Goes away after 2-3 seconds.
It's not torque steer. It does not pull to either side. Just shakes from side to side.

My '12 does not have this shimmy or shake when starting. It does have a single bump or rubbing sensation like two parts rubbing as they pass each other. This only occurs when I pull forward after backing out of my drive. This so slight that I don't even pay attention to it anymore (after 8500 miles).

I'm totally speculating here as I'm a not a mechanic, but I wonder if the problem could be somehow related to a defective stabalizer bar mentioned in the thread: "2012 Explorer base transmission thumps"?

Subtle Low Speed Wobble

I, too, have noticed a subtle front end wobble accelerating at low speed on my new 2013 (350 miles). Dealer technician noticed, but there are no existing TSB's yet. It is currently described as a normal operating condition.

Normal...my 2011 does it sometimes, as well. I call it the Ex Wobble...doesn't bother me.

moi aussi

As another Ex owner experiencing the shimmy sympton, I ask: Has anyone had a satisfactory explanation yet? Mine is 2011.

As another Ex owner experiencing the shimmy sympton, I ask: Has anyone had a satisfactory explanation yet? Mine is 2011.

Only if you consider "they all do it" a satisfactory explanation......

No. Mine is a 2012 and it still shimmies between 60-70 mph.

My '11 LTD is in the shop as of this morning for the continuing vibration issue (see other post on vibration). Interesting that there are so many potential sources of my problem, and so many folks experiencing vibrations of various types all of which are determined to be "normal".

The dealer car (a Focus with 18,000 miles) I am currently driving has a vibration as well. Perhaps it is a Ford "trait" or "feature". List it on the window sticker as, "Automatic Vibratory Massage Seating" and charge for it!

had this same problem in a 2000 x finally found it both front wheel bearings replaced front hubs as a unit now smooth as glass

Well I figured out where mine was coming from. I said I could feel it in my back. Well thats because the second row seats head rest pushes against my seat when its down. Put the seat up and voila! No more vibration. Yes I'm an idiot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 Limited does it as well. M might describe what I am feeling as bouncing. The ride feels very unsettled sometimes after going over a speed bump.

Back