• Register Today It's free!

Shaking at start, rough idle

GilbertGalindo

Reaction score
City, State
Liberty Hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
We have an 01 v8 5.0 all wheel drive. It barely starts then idles VERY roughly til it (90% of the time) dies. Put on new, plugs and wires. Cleaned everything possible including MAF and IAC. At my wits' end. Don't have much more money to put into a at the moment. Also just replaced ac compressor and belt 3 days ago because it f'd up and popped off while driving it.
Help please!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any codes? ...vacuum leaks ....fuel pump going out maybe.....
Spray starting fluid (or carb cleaner if that's what you have on hand) into throttle body and if starts up really quick and easy (unlike it's doing now) that would tend to point/ almost confirm fuel system issue..... pump...filter....

There were misfire codes until I changed wires plugs. Now none. No vac leaks, pump is fine. Oh....brand new fuel filter too. At a total loss. :(

There were misfire codes until I changed wires plugs. Now none. No vac leaks, pump is fine. Oh....brand new fuel filter too. At a total loss. :(
Any chance you accidentally swapped two plug wires putting things back...happens to the best of us... easier to do at coil pack ....not totally clear on chronological order of events.....

0996b43f8020953c.jpg

We have an 01 v8 5.0 all wheel drive. It barely starts then idles VERY roughly til it (90% of the time) dies. Put on new, plugs and wires. Cleaned everything possible including MAF and IAC. At my wits' end. Don't have much more money to put into a at the moment. Also just replaced ac compressor and belt 3 days ago because it f'd up and popped off while driving it.
Help please!!!
Massive vacuum leak? Check every hose, pcv, etc. Block off things if necessary.

No leaks
Checking cat converter now. Possibly that?

Get forscan (free), and an inexpensive adapter.

Report fuel trims at idle and BARO parameter.

Any codes? ...vacuum leaks ....fuel pump going out maybe.....
Spray starting fluid (or carb cleaner if that's what you have on hand) into throttle body and if starts up really quick and easy (unlike it's doing now) that would tend to point/ almost confirm fuel system issue..... pump...filter....
Help please!!!
How many miles? Did you clean the throttle body?

Back