• Register Today It's free!

Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
Just thought I'd post a couple pics of a Shark Fin Antenna Install.
I've had these on other vehicles and they look and work great. Never really noticed any reduction in reception...at least not where I live.
These are purchased from Visual Garage. Their site is still that page with a notice of a new launch coming soon but you can still order these by emailing them, they will reply back asking your vehicle make and prefered color, then they will send a paypal invoice, you pay, and a week or so later your antenna arrives.
Ignore my grubby hands. Before hand, I installed my HID kit which I will also soon be posting another thread and a lot of similar step by step procedure pics.

DSC07466_zpsc0fae740.jpg

DSC07467_zpsabe0e858.jpg

UNSCREW AND REMOVE FACTORY ANTENNA
DSC07468_zpsa7933200.jpg

CLEAN AREA AROUND ANTENNA WITH ALCOHOL TO ENSURE GOOD CONTACT FOR THE ADHESIVE TAPE.
DSC07469_zps41843e9a.jpg

ATTACH SHARKFIN ANTENNA WITH PROVIDED SCREW
DSC07470_zps418ab680.jpg

PEEL OFF ADHESIVE AND ALIGN YOUR SHARKFIN ANTENNA AND STICK IT ON
DSC07471_zpsd08a42fd.jpg

DSC07472_zps3cf70553.jpg

DSC07474_zpsd2c06b36.jpg

DSC07478_zpsa1b5865f.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, i had no idea it was that simple. Have you tried both am and fm reception?

You are right... Super simple and working great in both receptions.. Will post a pic soon of mine...

Is that the same antenna that controls NAV reception too? How about HD channels, notice anything different with those? Nice simple Mod. Thanks for the pics.

Is that the same antenna that controls NAV reception too? How about HD channels, notice anything different with those? Nice simple Mod. Thanks for the pics.

Believe the Nav. antenna is under the dash --- We live in the same area and you won't notice any difference in reception at all.

Im curious if anyone else had tried these antennas?
Any testimonials?
Also, what does visual garage charge for these?

Thanks

They charge $87.

Do you thing this will hold up in car washes. I like next to a Delta Sonic Car Wash and go take my vehicle there three times a week. Just wondering how the tape holding the antenna will hold up. P.S. Looks great on your Explorer !

Do you thing this will hold up in car washes. I like next to a Delta Sonic Car Wash and go take my vehicle there three times a week. Just wondering how the tape holding the antenna will hold up. P.S. Looks great on your Explorer !

Before putting this on my new Explorer I also had one on my old vehicle, a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It was on there for 3 years and I wash approx once per week and never a problem. My mother now has my old Equinox and the Sharkfin is still holding tight as usual.
If you really weren't sure you could always go buy that special 3M automotive double sided tape, cut a long thin strip and replace it. But really, the tape that comes on it is just fine.

doesn't it seem to be too big?

Too big for my liking ;.). I'm actually looking into how to move the whole antenna off the roof, to make it completely flat up there.

I don't have Nav (I just use my iPhone), may not renew the Sat radio (tho in LA, it may still work alright on the dash anyways), don't listen to AM/FM too often (tho I could probably replace it with a window antenna), and will be plastidipping the body (so i'll be able to patch up any holes up there).

Does anyone know how to take the whole antenna off tho?!

Too big for my liking ;.). I'm actually looking into how to move the whole antenna off the roof, to make it completely flat up there.

I don't have Nav (I just use my iPhone), may not renew the Sat radio (tho in LA, it may still work alright on the dash anyways), don't listen to AM/FM too often (tho I could probably replace it with a window antenna), and will be plastidipping the body (so i'll be able to patch up any holes up there).

Does anyone know how to take the whole antenna off tho?!

I would be interested in this too, but I wonder if you loose reception quality.

I have the Beat Sonic - works well, easy install same as shown in this thread

The only downside I see with the Beat Sonic is that you have to chose from a predetermined colour list as opposed to the initial one mentioned in this thread which is painted according to the colour code of your Explorer.

Peter

I just went with black for mine - thought it works ok with other black items on EX

same to me, black works just fine since all the railings are black. The only downside for me is that Beat Sonic black is almost 50% more than the one from Visual Garage. and it is not clear if they are about same size or not. I mentioned already that Visual Garage one seems little bit to big to me. Keep fingers crossed on OEM shark antenna on next generation/facelift, will order that one instead.
and I couldn't find anything on Beat Sonic regarding delivery at all (specifically to Canada), have to contact them.

Denis, I have no idea why Ford seems to use a mix of the standard and shark fin antennas. The Fusion uses the 'fin' as does the 2015 Lincoln MKC. :dunno:

Peter

well, may be I order one from Lincoln then, need a part number though... gonna find it

the only problem I foresee, OEM shark antenna could not be hollow inside, have to remove standard one totally...
Still, will give it a try, order one and see what could be done...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a unpainted shark-fin. My son in law works at a dealer and can paint it to match my EX. Should be unique having a Deep Impact Blue shark-fin.

Back