shaving rear hatch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shaving rear hatch

my friend wants me to shave the wiper and handle off his rear hatch on his 91 explorer...... how could i do this "meaning how can i make a way to open the hatch" could i flip that handle to the inside the truck? im not to familiar with explorer..... so i dont even know...... and the hatch is metal right not fiber glass

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet would be to find some kind of electric door popper and use that, flipping the handle will not do you too much good when you are locked out of the car.;)

not to sound like an a$$ but how often do you go through your hatch to get in? lol

so in other words you want to make is like a trunk with a little pull lever?

You could shave the wiper with no problem. I have this thread asking about this very subject. The T-handle on the other hand is a very hard project to pull off. You would need a very strong solenoid to get that thing to open. Not impossible but difficult nonetheless. Why don't you start by shaving the emblems, key hole, and some trims on the back hatch like I have done with mine? With that, it might be just the look your looking for without going through the hassle of getting the hatch to open with shaved handle.

is there anyways i can just use that same t handle and flip it to the inside of the hatch and just beable to open the hatch from the inside?

Just get a 50LB solenoid from Autoloc.com. It's difficult but not impossible.

Originally posted by foolio
is there anyways i can just use that same t handle and flip it to the inside of the hatch and just beable to open the hatch from the inside?

With some ingenuity you could probably do it but have you seen the inside of that hatch? :eek:

Yea, Hartman, maybe that's my next summer's project. ;)

Yep, this will be my first year having my own garage. wooo hooo! :)
I guess I could work on my truck during the winter months. I would just need to put a heater there.

Back