Sheet Metal Gauge Sizes?? HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sheet Metal Gauge Sizes?? HELP!!

I am needing to make Panels to repair cut out sections of rust on my truck. It is a 91 Ford Ranger Xlt. Does anyone know a good Gauge of Sheet Metal to use and what kind?? Please help!!

anything in the low 20s should work. But I think the more important question is does your welder handle thin steel metal?

I am using a MIG welder with 0.023 Wire on it and 75/25 Standard gas. It should be alright! And do you think 21 Gauge would work alright.

22 gauge cold rolled is the best or should I say easiest for shaping repair panels. Hot rolled is more pliable, but cold rolled just seems to have more rigidity, and is a little less succeptable to unwanted tool marks. Your choice of wire and gas is spot on. I find the cold rolled better for welding regardless.

Just as an aside, and something very cool...I just did a fender well repair on my Explorer with 22 gauge galvanized using the 3M bonding method. It takes the place of a welder in intricate areas where heat distortion can be more of a problem for localized repair. Hell... Auto body shops replace complete quarters with the stuff! Guaranteed for the life of the vehicle too.
I just cut out the rust, and used flanging pliers on the existing metal to create a seemless invisible repair, then used my beadroller to create the matching depth flange, and added the small strengthening rib. used Rustnot sprayed into the rocker where stubborn rust may still have been hiding (there was a pile of silty dirt in the rocker because of the f%&ck'n hole!). Allowed to dry, then bonded the repair panel, then topcoated with undercoat. Worked very well.:thumbsup:

Back