• Register Today It's free!

shift motor pin connector

wargle

Reaction score
City, State
Talladega, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4D 4wd
One of the wires pulled out of the back of the male pin connector on the T-case shift motor on my 92 X. Does anyone know how to remove the pin from the connector so the wire can be resoldered and then the pin replaced? The connector has a red ring around the center pin which looks like it could be a locking device for the surrounding pins, but, I don't have a clue how to remove the red ring either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been awhile since I had my shift motor off, but if I remember right, the red insert inside the connector comes out using a very small screwdriver. It just pops out. You may also be able to use some very small needle-nose pliers if you have them. Once the red insert is out, there's locking tabs for each pin that need to be pushed to one side. Once aside, the pin should easily come out the backside of the connector by gently pulling the wire (if it's still there). If the wire is completely disconnected, you may have to use your small screwdriver to push the pin out. To reassemble, with the wire properly connected to the pin, simply push the pin back into the rear of the connector until you hear the "click". Then reinsert the red plug.

edit: be very careful when you pry the locking tab to the side. I didn't have a problem, but you don't want to break the plastic locking tab

Thanks for the tip. I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't sure. I tried poping out the red ring, but my screwdriver wasn't small enough.

I'm sure the screwdriver I used was very small, one of those hobby type screwdrivers like the kind that would take the back off a watch.

To pull the red insert out, bend a paper clip straight, then bend a very small "L" in the end. With this you should be able to hook the outer edge of the red insert and pull it out. It should come out easily. Once it is out, you will see the plasitc locking tab that holds the pin. gently pry this tab with a small screwdriver, while pressing the pin out the back of the connector. You may need 3 hands: one to hold the body of the connector, one to retract the locking tab, one to press the pin out.

Bob

Back