• Register Today It's free!

Shift Rail Plugs

krullj

Reaction score
City, State
Harpers Ferry, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
My tranny has been leaking fluid for a while now. It's been getting worse and is up to about a quart every couple of months. I figured it is the 3 plugs I've seen mentioned many times. I looked at them from the top and expected them to be dried out and/or missing. But all were there and they looked like they were in pretty good shape. Could the leaking be coming from somewhere else, or do you think it could be leaking from these plugs even though they appear to be ok. Thanks for the help.

I was given a free '92 sport with a bad transmission. The transmission had failed due to too much fluid leaking from the shift rail plugs.

The failure resulted in the loss of all gears except 4th. due to excess heat between the Input shaft and the countershaft. There were only traces of melted gear teeth on both shafts.

While rebuilding the tranny I inspected the rubber plugs. They appeared OK, but knowing fluid leaked from them, as well as having the tranny cover on the bench, I decided to replace the rubber plugs with metal freeze plugs.

The rubber plugs resisted removal, but I got 'em out, and installed the metal plugs.

No leaking since.

So either be willing to add fluid periodically, replace the plugs, or be prepared to rebuid (or replace) the tranny.

-Ben

Thanks Ben. Yeah, I better replace them.

Back