• Register Today It's free!

Shifter Pics Please

fsumotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I am swapping in a manual t-case into my '96 5spd Explorer.

I need to know where EXACTLY to cut the hole in the floor so i don't butcher it.

Can someone post a pic of the inside showing both stock shifter locations?

Also did ford use a double shifter boot, or two single ones side by side?

I have a manual trans, but 2nd gens didn't have manual t-cases

Here are a couple pics i found on google, but they are both different...sigh

Is it more like the top or the bottom?

Thanks

0501or_04_z+1992_ford_ranger+shifter.jpg

7029590040_large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ITs more like the bottom but as to where you'll make the cut: remove the front seats, pull back the carpet, unbolt the plate (thats in the middle of the transmission tunnel) and it'll be obvious and easy to see where you'll need to cut this plate for the shifter.

ITs more like the bottom but as to where you'll make the cut: remove the front seats, pull back the carpet, unbolt the plate (thats in the middle of the transmission tunnel) and it'll be obvious and easy to see where you'll need to cut this plate for the shifter.

I did do that, but not so obvious to me anyway.

It sucks cause until i have at least a starter hole i can't hold the shifter up to the trans to see where it needs to go.

From memory the bottom one seems correct, but when "eyeballing" everything up it seems like the shifter will wind up like the top one!

****! i only want to cut one hole, and not have it be enormous

Well what you do is remove the plate, bolt the shifter onto the transmission, get a marker and mark how far the shifter moves, unbolt the shifter, put the cover plate back on, and transfer the marks you made onto the cover plate. Then you should have a good idea of where to cut the plate. If you're worried, cut a little bit short, test fit, and if the cut you made is not big enough, then enlarge until it is.

well i didn't have to cut the floor, just the cover plate for the trans.

It's more like B but kind of in between, i need to find the right boots though as the two bezels interfere with each other. i'm usually crunched for time in the garage so i didn't pull up the carpet first, i just made small cuts at a time :)

you can see they don't quite fit next to each other, and the 4x4 shifter shaft is against the 5spd bezel

thanks for the input

HPIM1101.jpg

HPIM1102.jpg

HPIM1103.jpg

Back