• Register Today It's free!

Shifter relocation instructions?

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Anyone have detailed pictures or instructions on relocating the shifter to the console. I know I’ve seen comments that it’s been done but wondering if anyone has documented this or take. Pictures that might help. I know where to pin the connector in the console and I see there are two plugs in the column but I haven’t taken a close enough look to know which I need to reroute yet.

Any other tips on moving the shifter cable too? Seems pretty straight forward once you get it unhooked and down to the console.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, does anybody have any experience converting the standard PIU column shifter to the console shifter that comes with the standard Explorers? Does anybody know if this is even possible? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have merged your thread with this one and if the responses are any different, you may be out of luck.
I did find a member who wanted to go the other way but he didn't have any luck with replies either.

Peter

an image of installation will help for shifter relocation
i just leave a console installed and shifter hole is there at new center console ,(already took my 5 hours lol)
i have the shifter stick, nwondering how long it is or how hard it is? (yes lazy ass i m)
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-05 at 16.32.36 (1).jpeg

Anyone have detailed pictures or instructions on relocating the shifter to the console. I know I’ve seen comments that it’s been done but wondering if anyone has documented this or take. Pictures that might help. I know where to pin the connector in the console and I see there are two plugs in the column but I haven’t taken a close enough look to know which I need to reroute yet.

Any other tips on moving the shifter cable too? Seems pretty straight forward once you get it unhooked and down to the console.
I'm not sure why you even want to do that, you'd still have the column shifter, unless you could cover it. I personally prefer column shifter (literally the only reason I got a PIU), but that's just me.

I'm not sure why you even want to do that, you'd still have the column shifter, unless you could cover it. I personally prefer column shifter (literally the only reason I got a PIU), but that's just me.
Same. Can't stand console shifters... Unless it's a manual transmission, the only time it makes sense.

But some people like them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back