Shifting from park and from 1st to 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting from park and from 1st to 2nd

Decter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Escape Hybrid
Hello all,

I have a 2007 Sport Trac, V8 with 69K on the engine.

Had it for a few weeks, and noticed that it idles fairly highly in first before a noticable shift into 2nd. All other gears it shifts smoothly.

A few days ago, I cranked it up and the tab/button on the front of the gear shift lever (please excuse the lack of exact terminology) wouldnt depress allowing me to put it into gear. After around 30 seconds, it depressed. This has happened intermittently a few times now, and doesn't seem to be triggered to unlock by any action of mine.

I have heard online at other places, that the TCM and PCM can be flashed to a newer code and it cures the problem. Any thoughts?

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the actuator in the shift mechanism. You can peel it apart and clean it up but it will still probably fail later on. Around 200 bucks for a new shifter from tasca. If you look under the cup holder there is a little black tab. If you jam a screw driver in there you can bypass the lock. the instructions are in the owners manual.
I just busted the lock off all together. Now I can put it into gear without pressing the break.

To clarify, I need a new shift lever all together?

Thanks for the all of the information. How difficult is it to replace part?

Will having the PCM and TCM flashed by the dealer completely fix the shifting issue?

Not sure, I never replaced mine. I modded it so it wouldnt lock. You will need the 6 speed if you have the V8, mine is a 6 so I have the 5 speed.

Not sure about the shifting issue either. It fixed mine, but again its a 5 speed.

username tech
password tech

http://arrc.ebscohost.com/articles/1f97acc0-455d-012a-e8dc-fe5acb2ce645?car_uuid=1433278

SECTION 307-05: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission External Controls

2007 Explorer/Mountaineer/Explorer Sport Trac Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Procedure revision date: 07/12/2007
Selector Lever

Item Part Number Description
1 7E395 Selector lever cable
2 7H181 Selector lever-to-cable clip
3 W710618 Selector lever housing nut
4 7210 Selector lever assembly

Removal

Remove the front floor console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12.

Disconnect the selector lever cable from the selector lever.

Disconnect the selector lever cable from the selector lever housing.

Disconnect the selector lever housing electrical connector.

Disconnect the wiring harness from the selector lever housing.

Remove the 4 nuts and remove the selector lever housing from the vehicle.

Installation

NOTE: When installing the selector lever cable, make sure that the selector lever cable locking tabs are locked in place and the selector lever cable end is snapped onto the ball stud. Press the selector lever cable into the selector lever cable bracket and listen for the selector lever cable to click in place. Pull back on the selector lever cable to make sure that it is locked into the selector lever cable bracket. Also make sure that the selector lever cable end is correctly installed onto the ball stud. Pull back on the selector lever cable end to make sure that the selector lever cable end is correctly installed.

Install the selector lever housing.
Tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).

Connect the wiring harness to the selector lever housing.

Connect the selector lever housing electrical connector.

Install the selector lever cable onto the selector lever housing.

Connect the selector lever cable onto the selector lever.

Install the front floor console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12.

Back