Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer

since they have your truck for a couple days, did they provide you with a loaner car at no cost??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, they didnt. i should ask though. im driving my honda accord at the moment.

boy thats ironic, when my Explorers in the shop I'm driving my Accord also. I've put over 200k miles on it and it gives me less trouble than this new Explorer.

I think a lot more of us will be driving Accords if Ford can't resolve this...

boy thats ironic, when my Explorers in the shop I'm driving my Accord also. I've put over 200k miles on it and it gives me less trouble than this new Explorer.

i hear ya bro. ever since i got my accord which is 2000 ive only had to do maintence on it. over 100k miles still running strong. i really hope they get this thing resolved.

another quick update to the problem though, my service advisor called me yesterday said this, they redid the PCM and said the reason the last time it didnt work was because the tech didnt do it as written, meaning driving a certain way 5 times to let the computer "learn"... anyways, he calls me again and said well," that didnt fix it, we need to call a ford transmission guy out to see what the problem was." my reply," whatever, just fix it." hopefully they figure out that reprograming the pcm aint gonna do ****. :mad:

Wish we could get a copy of 06-23-11 TSB. The tech DVD I have only goes to mid 2006 and the latest applicable TSB is 06-13-1. I know I have some of the other symptoms such as the high idle at cold start.

Ok, so here is the updated TSB 06-23-11. Did anyone else know about the Motorcraft Services website? It's a fee-based Ford site that has all TSBs, tech manuals, and module flashes (to be used with laptop and J2534 pass-thru). I only paid the $9.95 for the 3 day TSB access. Hope someone wil return the favor if a new one comes out. Will post all the lates TSB titles in the TSB thread. Would also love to hear from anyone who has used J2534 updates.
--------------------------
06-23-11
This article supersedes TSB 06-13-1 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine and a 6R60 transmission may exhibit various driveability and transmission shift quality symptoms.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 46.3 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

SYMPTOMS

Apply reprogram to 2006 Explorer / Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles that may exhibit the following symptoms:
-Overheat indication at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
-A/C shutoff at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
-Lower than desired RPM during long decel

For Units Built On Or Before 5/4/2006
-Cold hesitation / surge
-Long crank
-Engine fan noise on cold start and A/C operation
-High idle during warm up (cold engine)
-Transmission engagement delay when shifting between P-D, N-D, and R-D
-Delayed / hesitation on 1-2 shift, 2-1 and/or 3-2 decel step-in shifts
-Hoot noise during cold 1st gear launches from transmission pump
-Inaccurate Message Center average fuel economy estimation

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Install IDS or equivalent and ID vehicle.

2. the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 46.3 or higher. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables using IDS.
-Open Toolbox.
-Choose Powertrain.
-Choose reset KAM.
-Then choose TCM.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.
NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4.Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
b. Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) so that the transmission shifts into 6th gear.
c. Brake gently to a COMPLETE STOP and hold foot on brake for at least 15 seconds.
d. Repeat Steps (a-d) a total of five (5) times.

After four days my Mountaineer is back to the old shift pattern. The updated TSB is worthless. The car goes in next week for the shift solenoid (valve body). I'll keep you updated from there.

After four days my Mountaineer is back to the old shift pattern. The updated TSB is worthless. The car goes in next week for the shift solenoid (valve body). I'll keep you updated from there.

Is the dealership doing all this maintenance under the factory warranty? I just don't want them trying to tell me that I have to pay for them to fix this.

Is the dealership doing all this maintenance under the factory warranty? I just don't want them trying to tell me that I have to pay for them to fix this.

Yes it is under warranty, they are well aware that there is a problem. I guess what gets me is that it is well known that the reprogram doesn't work. Why not just put the shift solenoid in and be done with it.

Yeah, they already reprogrammed mine twice. It doesn't work at all.

i just got my car back yesterday. the problem is gone, im really crossing my fingers and hoping it doesnt come back. they said they changed the valve body and shift solenoid.

Thanks for the update! I hope it continues to work for you. Let us know if the problem returns!

i just got my car back yesterday. the problem is gone, im really crossing my fingers and hoping it doesnt come back. they said they changed the valve body and shift solenoid.
Great news! I too wish it stays that way...please update us in about a week and let us know. Do you know if the new parts were 06 or 07 part numbers? My local dealer claims to know nothing about this problem and I'd like to provide as much info as possible on the fix.

will definately keep you guys posted. im not too sure about the part numbers though. but definately tell them to change out the valve body and shift solenoid. they should know from there.

Dropped mine off today at the dealership, told them to replace the shift solenoid. I'll have to update when I get it back.

good luck! its been a good week and half of driving and its still working great. :thumbsup:

Hello Group
I am choosing between an 05 Ltd vs a 06 XLT both 4x4 4.6's, after reading this thread was wondering is the 06 worth the hassle for its newness?

i sure hope replacing the solenoid and valve body work. I'm having the dealer replace mine tommorow. The technician told me he has replaced a few already. What a hassle getting a loaner car, but they finally gave in.
When are the American car manufacturers going to get their acts together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its been a good 3 weeks since i changed mines and thankfully its still working as promised. when i did i pcm update it came back around the 3 week mark. so im really crossing my fingers and hoping everyone that does it doesnt have to come back. good luck everyone!

Back