Shifting Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting Problem

B

bgclight

I have a 2008 Limited V6 with 4x4 Auto transmission. I am so used to my old 98 4 speed auto 4x4 V6 that I wonder at times if my new Explorer is O.K. The 98 was so very smooth. The 08 does not shift as smoothly. I now have 6700 miles on the vehicle and everything stays the same. I am not willing to call it rough shifting, but it is not as smooth as I have been used to. Before the 98 I had an 85 Bronco 351 4x4 auto and it shifted smoother than the 08. Even my old 78 4x4 pickup 400 shifted smother than the 08.

The dealer has not driven my 08 but tells me what I am experiencing is normal. I just returned from a 1000 mile roundtrip with much of the driving in the mountains and the car performed flawlessly.

Is anyone having similar experiences with the new Explorer?

I will appreciate any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, In my opinion, don't let any dealer just say, Yeah that is normal. Go there and go for a test drive with a qualified transmission technician. Insist on it. It might take you some time, but with the reliability of Ford Transmissions lately, 04 - 07 model years, you'll want to stay on top of it.
For reference, many of the transmissions for the 04 - 07 explorers, whether they are v6 or v8, need to have the transmission's computer software updated to take care of these shifting issues.
One caveat, they will prob say that an 08 shouldn't have the probs that earlier ones had. Don't fall for it. Go for the technician test drive.

Finally, if you know it happens when cold or hot or whatever, then take your test drive under that condition. I had to do it on my 06 v6 explorer, and it is better, but not perfect, still to this day.

Stay on it until they have fixxed it!
Best of luck,
M

I have an 06 v6 as well and I have rough shifts going up a hill which doesnt bother me but what is kinda of scary is when slowing at a red light and it turns green before you get to a stop if you give it a little gas it just jumps forward. I don't know if the dealer flashing the computer would fix that or not but as of now I'm not willing to fork over an hours labor to give it a try.

I have an 06' V8 4x4 and also had the same problem when it jumps as slowing to a stop or also from switching from reverse to drive. I brought it to the dealer and they reset the computer or something and the problem has seemed to go away for now. It's been like 5 months and working great.

There is a TSB out for delayed shift engagement for the 2008 models. The symptoms are. Just before you come to a complete stop the transmission will shift in such a way that you feel like you just got bumped from behind. When you accelerate from a stop the transmission will not engage completely and feel like it is slipping.

Here is a link to the complete thread where I found the info. I just mentioned the TSB to my dealer and they took care of it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199183

Back