• Register Today It's free!

Shimmy

1997 Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer AWD
Let me try to explain this out as best as I can hopefully covering all bases. This is occurring on my 1997 Explorer AWD. What is occurring is when I am on the interstate appx 60 mph and taking on curves right and left, mainly right the truck will shimmy. Also when on the interstate and you hit the bridges the truck will also shimmy. Now let me layout what has led up to this and what I have done so far troubleshooting.

First over the weekend I had changed the oil. During this I also was changing out one of the driving light units due to a rock hit mine and totaled It. While at the junkyard I also pulled off a the power steering pump cap due to mine leaked out fluid.

So upon my dirve yesterday the shimmying started. My first thought was the power steering pump was a little low so last night I checked it and found it was full. Next I thought maybe I had a loose tire. I managed to get a 1/8 inch turn out of some of the front lugs. On the drive today the shimmy occurred a few times again. To me it always feels like it is the right front side.

Now I also noticed when traveling at 10 mph that when you turn the steering wheel back and forth you can feel some looseness.

Any thoughts. My thought is the ball joints maybe going bad but I had replaced them last January.

Let me try to explain this out as best as I can hopefully covering all bases. This is occurring on my 1997 Explorer AWD. What is occurring is when I am on the interstate appx 60 mph and taking on curves right and left, mainly right the truck will shimmy. Also when on the interstate and you hit the bridges the truck will also shimmy. Now let me layout what has led up to this and what I have done so far troubleshooting.

First over the weekend I had changed the oil. During this I also was changing out one of the driving light units due to a rock hit mine and totaled It. While at the junkyard I also pulled off a the power steering pump cap due to mine leaked out fluid.

So upon my dirve yesterday the shimmying started. My first thought was the power steering pump was a little low so last night I checked it and found it was full. Next I thought maybe I had a loose tire. I managed to get a 1/8 inch turn out of some of the front lugs. On the drive today the shimmy occurred a few times again. To me it always feels like it is the right front side.

Now I also noticed when traveling at 10 mph that when you turn the steering wheel back and forth you can feel some looseness.

Any thoughts. My thought is the ball joints maybe going bad but I had replaced them last January.

Does the whole truck shake? or just sway side to side? does it seem to be coming from the front or rear? it could be because of a simple unbalanced tire. Also have you checked you rear leaf spring shackles? Those things get real weak and could cause the truck to shimmy, at speed, and while going over bumps.

I had checked the wheels and all looked well with the wheel weights still on the rims. I talked to a local machanic i know and he was telling me that when the explorers get some miles on them that vibrations can come from the Transfer case. I changed the fluid to a synthetic blend and trying it. So far one days drive on it and haven't felt anything yet. 196,235 and still going.

Back