• Register Today It's free!

Shinny leather seats

Explorer901

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited
I was able to remove the shine by using a clothing steamer with a cleaning head on it. I saw this being done on the "*****en Rides" show. I guess the steam releases the oils embedded in the leather. I followed up the cleaning with a conditioner. the seats look new again.

I have a 2007 V8 Limited with 170k miles. The interior trim code is "ZW". My factory manual says that code is: "Imola/Milled Pebble leather" in black. None of the seats are cracked or torn. The driver's seat it smooth and shiny. Prior to this my only experience with leather seats was in the 70's and 80's with high end European cars. They looked/smelled/felt like leather. My Explorer seats look and feel like vinyl.

Has anyone else here tried steam cleaning Explorer "leather" like is mentioned in the above post? Did it help reduce the shine and smoothness?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you recon after say 6ish years these people still have these cars?

I don't know. I currently have several cars that I have owned for 20+ years. My 2007 Explorer I purchased last year.

I wasn't asking the original poster. I was asking if other people had the same experience with steam cleaning these Explorer kinda/sorta "leather" seats.

The place I turned you on to makes products used on Rolls Royce (aka. Connolly Leather) automobiles.

The place I turned you on to makes products used on Rolls Royce (aka. Connolly Leather) automobiles.

Thanks I appreciate your post. I will look at leather products later, but for now I am specifically asking if other people tried steam cleaning their old/shiny/smooth Ford Explorer leather and got the same results as the original poster.

Back