Shipping Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shipping Tips

I think this might be a good idea

Some of you have items for sale, but are afraid to ship them for various reasons.

Maybe this thread will help you overcome the issues, and, sell your stuff.

I would like each contributor to sub title his suggestion so they are easy to find for sellers, wishing to find a shipping option.

No comments please, in order to keep this thread as comprehensive as possible. Comments will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shipping Wheels

I have had a few occasions to ship wheels.

You might think going all out on packing is the best way--however, I have a good tip to share.

Go to your local tire shops and ask for wheel boxes. Box the wheels in them using the factory packing and tape shut.

Then- locate an electric water heater box, or the like.
I used the large box from a select comfort bed. The 4 wheel boxes packed snuggly inside, and made for a nice package.

Now for the good part. Shipping each box un- insured was going to be 23.00,

Packing the 4 wheels together , and adding 400.00 insurance came to a whopping 73.00 total shipping from Kansas to North Carolina. Not bad for a set of wheels.

UPS will take packages up to 150 lbs.

Check with employer for shipping discounts

Check with your employer and see if they get any discounts with any shipping companies. My work allows employees to ship personal items and receive the company discount.

Cheap Scale and Internet

Buy a cheap scale that does upto 250 lbs or so, weigh it. Once its weighed, you can get estimates on-line which are free, USPS UPS FEDEX All you have to know is rough weight (if you want to cover each other, add 1.5-2.5lbs), yours and their zip code.

Edit (adding info): USPS now allows you to pay online for a shipping label you print from your house, for CHEAPER then what it cost to take it to them; then set up a FREE pick up for them to come to you and get it.

^^^
Good advice.
However, be sure to use the "detailed time and price" choice when using the ups on line quote system. If not, you will be hit with higher prices when you do ship, and, this could be a bad surprise if you have already settled the transaction.

Or use a fedex account of a former company you worked for.. :D

Ben does not condone this.. Ben suggest opening your own Fedex/UPS/USPS account.

Shipping containers--Plastic Tubs

I have used plastic Tubs from local department stores as shipping containers.
They are cheap, sturdy and easy to handle for the shipper.

Use duct tape to tape the lid shut, taping around the circumference of the lid rim. Add a couple of layers of cardboard to the bottom for padding if needed.

These are cheap, and very sturdy as long as you avoid the clear ones. I have used them to ship a front diffy, and, awd transfer case among other things.
Recently 123 lbs of brackets were shipped from Kansas to Virginia. Although the tub did get snashed a bit, the contents were fine.This was a single tub.

If you are unsure, double the tubs up for extra strength.

Just figure this price into your shipping and packing charge. It is cheap insurance, and, can be used by the recipient for later things.

Keep in mind, cold temperatures make these brittle. Try to pack these so sharp objects do not stress the panels of the tub.

A thin piece of plywood in the bottom really helps to add a lot of weight capacity--in the sides it will help keep things from poking thru.

If you're getting something shipped to Canada, have the seller use USPS or be prepared to get hammered by UPS or FEDEX Ground for brokerage fees that may surprise you.

Motors and Transmissions

Set them on an old tire and strap them to the runners on a pallet.Strapping them to the top slats doesn't hold well because they break easier.

Tape and Packaging

Watch what kind of tape you use. Forms of duck tape are actually "heavier" and will add weight to your package. Clear 3" Wide tape is the lightest and standard shipping tape < can also get 400 yrds of it on a cutter at the dollar store.

Boxes, use a light weight box, more tape is still lighter then a thick heavy box.
Boxes, you can order FREE boxes from USPS, however they will be marked USPS and priority... You can snip the one piece that holds it together and flip them inside out.

Materials, Pnuts weigh the LEAST. Bubble wrap my help, but actually will make a weight difference. While Pnuts weight the least and is normally the cheapest from Office Max.

Flat rate boxes at USPS

They have a few different sizes and prices are $7-$13 depending on the size. Any weight up to 70lbs and the box is free. Yesterday I had something boxed to ship and took it there and it would be $15. The counter person got a flat rate box taped it up and it was $10.35. Only down side is tracking and insurance are extra. One bonus is that they ship to PO BOX where UPS and FedEx do not.

...Can this be made a sticky in the parts for sale section???

...This would be a great addition and reference every time you go to ship something...:biggthump

Shipping Tires

I've shipped a few sets of tires on here. No worry with the fancy packaging, I've just taken them to Fed Ex, printed the label and used clear tape to tape them to the tire.

You might get a funny look, but really, there's no reason they need packaging, they're anything but protected on your vehicle.

I've shipped tires Fed Ex this method for about $20-23 for 33" tires to Michigan and I think only about $15 more for a tire on a steel wheel using the same method.

Shipping Vehicles or large items.

Go to Uship.com and list your item. It's free, several people will throw up offers to carry the item who are licensed, bonded and insured.

There is a $35 fee, paid for by the transporter.

I put a boat on from Phoenix to Dallas and got about 9 quotes in 24 hours. The bids are public so people continue to beat the last bidder.

Another good shipping company was someone I learned about on here.

Jeremy at 770.777.4774

He shipped my Explorer from Chicago to Phoenix for like $700 or $750. That's about 2,000 miles. The savings was going "terminal to terminal" instead of "door to door"

Most quotes I got from other companies were double that price.

Sounds like a silly question, but I'll ask: Does an inflated tire (on a wheel of course) weigh more than if it were deflated?

I have a Fed Ex account... You get discounts! :) Love it!

Sounds like a silly question, but I'll ask: Does an inflated tire (on a wheel of course) weigh more than if it were deflated?

I have a Fed Ex account... You get discounts! :) Love it!

Depends, if it's air, yes, a little, but if you ship it full, use heilium, you'll trick the scales and save money.:D:D:D

Depends, if it's air, yes, a little, but if you ship it full, use heilium, you'll trick the scales and save money.:D:D:D

reminds me of the whole "if you fill a football with helium, will you be able to throw it farther?" question lol

I have also shipped rims and tires by just covereing the rim part with cardboard and taping around the tire. I also use UPS to ship large items, 6 times already Fed-Ex has broken something large or heavy that I have shipped and it takes months to get the insurance money from them. Never had an issue with UPS. :thumbsup:

Paypal tip !!!!!

If you trust the individual you are dealing with only!!!

Buyer and seller protection is not available for this option--however

When paying, you can select the "personal
" tab, then use the "money owed" option.

Paypal will deduct no fees for this transaction.

Another public service announcement from your friends at explorerforum!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are shipping a heavy item internationally ALWAYS ask the buyer if they have any way of getting it to them. When I ship explorer IRS rear diffs to other counties USPS won't take it (Over 70 lbs) but they always have a way. Many buyers will use a terminal shipper @ JFK airport. Some know someone in the USA and will let them deal with it and some will know of an export service. Always worth the question rather than losing the sale altogether.

Back