Shoc remanufactured engine with pre oiler timing guide reliability | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shoc remanufactured engine with pre oiler timing guide reliability

I’ve seen it in a few motors. 4.3 GMs are notorious for it. Used to happen to my moms Blazer all the time.

If your motor can’t be rev’d out a few times a week it’s not fit for service. I ran my old Mounty to the rev limiter all the time. Had 220k hard miles, 20k oil changes and had zero smoke, virtually no oil use, and the motor was bone stock except for plugs, wires, and a sync drive.

5,500 RPMs isn’t that big of a deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I got it
Here is how
I popped out the plug with a pick
I dented it a little bit very thin

20180715_174701.jpg

Then I marked the factory setting witch was 3.5 turns out

20180715_174714.jpg

Very interesting.

My final setting was 2.75 turns out
I had to play with it
In order to get it correctly set
I turned it in all the way started it barely ran
1turn out idled fine
Restarted flare to 900 barely started
2 turns out perfectly started

Now to deal with a.c. and it in drive stopping at lights I adjusted it a little bit at a time
To 2.75 turns out

Now it starts flare to 1200 rpm idles down to 650 rpm as always
the iac compensates for idle and a.c.
And if I snap or hold at say 2000 rpm it recovers faster no stall no hesitation
I couldn't be happier

turn the screw in all the way
It seems the screw only adds spring force to close the valve
But
If you say turn it in all the way the valve solenoid
Can still have full range of movement just with more force closing it ...not all the way ...

Very nice!

Very nice!

I knew there had to be a way to adjust it
But the cheep o looks a bit different but still is adjustable
Manufacturers ahh

Yours looks more robust than mine (2001 4wd sport trac) I screwed the screw in and it did affect the flare (reduced it from 1200 rpm to around 900 rpm) on cold start up, that's after pre oiling first. My pre oiler uses a gear pump, oil from sump through filter and into engine. It works really well.

Ok so a cold start this morning 68 out
1500 flair but rite down to 1100 rpm
Could not be happier

Hell yea brother

That's some great info

I use don’s method with a canton accumulator and it completely eliminates the start up tattle and I know by back guide and left front guides are broken - it’s been running this way for some time - I like to see pressure on the dash so I have to store some pressure that means I have to switch the solenoid closed at about 1800 rpm - I think the idle pressure would work I just don’t trust it

I dont like Cloyes tensioners, Motorcraft only!
Otherwise I have nothing else to add here..... very happy to see the IAC adjustment is possible.. I could have used this a time or two! One truck we fitted with a IAC adjuster plate dealio with a allen set screw you could adjust the amount of air bypassing the iac, an old mustang trick. I like this new method way better. Good job @donalds

~ Does the final rotational position of these tensioners matter, considering the 1 oil inlet hole on the outer end just inside the hex head?
No just torque it to spec

DILLARD000 said:
~ Would lining up this oil inlet hole with the oil supply hole in the head help improve oil pressure+flow to the tensioners?
Nope just torque to spec and use motorcraft tensioner s only

I banged the limiter on both of mine, daily, and haven’t ever had a single motor issue. It’s set conservatively.
ive hit 6k on my SOHC a few times and never had an issue but then again i drive on the highway a lot and give it the beans from 45 up to 70 all the time

Mine don't really see 5,000 RPM's by the time you see 5,000 RPM's the tires are gone

Mine don't really see 5,000 RPM's by the time you see 5,000 RPM's the tires are gone
Nice man i wish mine was like that lol now if i gun it from a stop it spins or if its raining i can stomp it and break the back end loose

according to forscan 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd it shifts at 6300 rpm which is insane but i think it could be wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If she taps the gas about 2000 RPM's she'll just roast the tires
she has to go easy to get the old girl moving then give it gas

Back