• Register Today It's free!

Shock compatibility - Monroe

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I am going to use Monroe Reflex 911035 for rear shocks for 98 Eddie Bauer V8 5.0L@105K. SInce I am not sure what shocks are in pair with 911035 for the front, I emailed Monroe customer support for question. THeir answer is that I can only use 37122 which is in Sensa Trac family.

I asked whether 911122 can be used for front, they answered NO. Interesting thing is that online store like AMazon as well as eBay all advertise that 911122 can be used for 98 Explorer.

Any past experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monroe Shocks

I have a 1998 Explorer XLT, 5.0L V8 and I installed the 911035 and 911122 Monroe shocks back in October 2010. They were made like the original factory shocks. Worked great!!

I really wonder why they say that 911122 is not compatible with 98 Explorer. Even their 'online shock catalog' doesn't have 911122 listed.

Monroe shocks

I ordered mine from Rockauto.com. They show the part numbers for the 1998 Explorer.

I also ordered 2 sets of Reflex shocks from Rock- never had an issue. Easy to order off the site, forum discount.

THanks for all your feedback. I will order it.

Joe Dirt,

Can you clarify 'forum discount' at Rock? Is there any promo code?

THanks!

This is good info. I'm actually doint the same thing right now. I'm guessing they don't list 911122 because they don't 'reccomend' it or something.. Anyways I was wondering if any of you happen to know if or where I can get a promo code for rockauto.??

thanks for the info here.. Hope those shocks worked well for u guys.. i'm doing the same thing

Same link.

FYI- The Reflex are valved a little differently than the sensatrac, they're a little better for topheavy SUV's... (The Reflex)

Front of the V8 Explorer is always heavy, unlike the rear. That makes a difference. The valving of the Reflex will not be usefull on front because of lower acceleration of the oscillations of Explorer front (increased weight dictates the frequency to be lower).
I did install Monroe Sensatrac on all sides, but I didn't like them on rear - leaning too much in curves. I pull them out (still have them in garage if anybody wants them) and replace with KYB Gas-A-Just (monotube shocks). There is no doubt that is a better damping solution for the rear.
Front are still Sensatrac but occasionally, on highway they will resonate with the ondulations - small oscillations in the "low damping" zone of the shock (Monroe calls that positional damping "comfort zone").
I think I will gather the money to replace the front shocks too with monotubes.

I did ride in a Explorer with Reflex and the ride was harsher than in mine. Now, tires and pressure make also a difference, I didn't swap the wheels for test, so I don't claim that is a perfect test.

It would appear that Monroe has discontinued that part number (911122). It has nothing to do with whether the truck is a V6 or V8 or what trim level it is. As a result, monroe removed it from their catalog, and thus the response from tech support.

Rock auto and many other still list this shock for the front end. I put them on my '97 Explorer 3 years ago (replaced Sensa-Tracs) and have been happy with the firmer handling.

Front of the V8 Explorer is always heavy, unlike the rear. That makes a difference. The valving of the Reflex will not be usefull on front because of lower acceleration of the oscillations of Explorer front (increased weight dictates the frequency to be lower).
I did install Monroe Sensatrac on all sides, but I didn't like them on rear - leaning too much in curves. I pull them out (still have them in garage if anybody wants them) and replace with KYB Gas-A-Just (monotube shocks). There is no doubt that is a better damping solution for the rear.
Front are still Sensatrac but occasionally, on highway they will resonate with the ondulations - small oscillations in the "low damping" zone of the shock (Monroe calls that positional damping "comfort zone").
I think I will gather the money to replace the front shocks too with monotubes.

I did ride in a Explorer with Reflex and the ride was harsher than in mine. Now, tires and pressure make also a difference, I didn't swap the wheels for test, so I don't claim that is a perfect test.

If you don't need them, they would be a great for my 99 EB 4x4.....the stock shocks are done at 141,000 miles.

Thanks
Zack

I did an interesting discovery: Monroe changed the "Reflex" branding to monotube type of shock "where OE is monotube".
They use "Reflex" branding for "Truck Shock Absorbers" but that is really a dual-tube, inertia valving shock.
There is no monotube available yet from Monroe for Explorers (the rear "Reflex" branded is "truck shock" type).

Nothing new there - the monotube reflex have been sold side by side with the original reflex style for years, though with a much more limited catalog. The monotube has never been available for 2nd gen explorers.

The usual labeling is Reflex shock or Reflex Monotube shock. The reflex "name" is on both lines, and also is slapped on a line of struts.

Ah, I just noticed it now. Well, that's why I went KYB route - monotubes. Gabriel, AC Delco, Bilstein are others that make monotubes for Explorer.
Even a suspect "Replacement" brand sells them...

LE: Does anybody know anything about the mistery "Replacement" brand?

Back