Shock Install Problems - Radius arm stud broken! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock Install Problems - Radius arm stud broken!

J

J Rosenberry

Tried to install the new Edelbrocks on my '93 Explorer XLT 4Dr. 4X4 over the weekend. Immediately ran into major problem. Twisted off the front lower shock mount stud! The nut/washer was rusty looking and the CP impact was too much. It didn't look that rusty! The stud is still there, the threaded "bolt" portion (not the actual mount portion) of the stud is gone. Thought I would drill out a new hole and tap for a bolt to "hold" the lower shock in place. Any better ideas out there???
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the same thing 2 years ago. I took it to a welding shop and had them unrivet (drill out) the stud and weld a thread back into the stud. Then they threaded a bolt into the backside and welded it onto the radius arm. Seems to be very strong. It cost about $110. Good luck!

------------------
-Lobo
An Explorer Blessing:
May you not see your A4LD in your rear-view mirror and
your radius arm bushings stay silent on the trail.

I didn't twist mine off but there is a nasty 4" verticle bump on my way to work (I seem to hit it every day). One day when I hit it I heard a nasty sound.. and then I would get a meteal bouncing against sound. It turns out I snapped my lower shock mount off. I took it down to Desert Rat (they have a shop here in Tucson) and It cost me $30 to have it welded back on (they even painted it when done). They said it nothing to worry about. It just happens sometimes.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

I've been a ranger and explorer owner all my life and have snapped off the threaded section on the front radius arms almost every time I tried to change the shocks. The easiest way to fix this is get a 7/16" bolt about 1 1/4" long and cut off the head. Cut the remaining threaded section off of the stud mount on the radius arm. Now either braze or weld the two cut ends together, trying to keep the threaded portion aligned with the stud on the radius arm. Since all the weight of the shock is on the stud, the threaded portion is only needed to keep the shock on the stud. Don't forget to get a new 7/16" nut and washer as well. I had a mechanic with a welder do this job for me in when I was stuck in Fairbanks, Alaska. The job takes five minutes, most places charge a minimum of 1/2 hour, but I tell you, $15 is well worth the money.

Removing Rear Radius Arm

Hey, I broke the bolt on my 94 that holds the shock on. The problem is that I am trying to remove the rear radius arm. I have removed everything except I cannot seem to remove the main stud on top of the axle where the spring mounts. Is the stud threaded in reverse? Or does the bolt come off at all? Thanks Mike
Bigguns_7@hotmail.com

There is also Locktite on those studs. They can be a royal PITA to remove. Just watch that the internal welded insert doesn't break free. Then your stuck cutting it off.

I once got a set of rancho shocks that had a repair stud. It was the stud but you were able to bolt it on to the rad arm and you were left with a factory style stud. I used those parts on my upper shock hoops when i made them.:D

Replace Broken Shock Mount Stud... easy... cheap

Here is how to replace the broken lower shock mount stud (on radius arm) cheap and easy.

Get "Help" part 31001 (Shock Bolt Kit) for $4.99 at Autozone or Pep Boys.
Grind off either the inside or outside of broken stud
Drive out the stud through the radius arm with hammer and punch
Install new part (You can throw away the rubber bushings it includes).

Drive away!

Here is a link to the part....

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP332...partType,00854/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Back