• Register Today It's free!

shock mounting trouble

kyleCAfire

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' XLT
So i bought my bilstein 5125's and had a buddy attempt to install them. They are the correct length and everything. But he said he couldn't mount them on the lower a-arm. He didn't specify why. Originally when i talked to bilstein they said i may need to purchase a bar pin from them to properly install them. My question is, is this really whats needed to install them properly? Just a bar pin? It seems like the stock one would have worked. Or is the stock shock mount even capable of holding this shock. Both the oem shock and my 5125's have the lower eyelet style of mount. Its just when i got under the truck to look at the mounting location it just didnt seem like a bar pin would work in there. Advice needed please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the OEM shocks, and all replacements I've gotten, already have the bar pin and lower mounting parts; it wasn't simply an eyelet.

But with the Bilsteins, you have to get the cross mounting bar to go with them if not, they will not mount up.

What is that you got stuffed inbetween the upper bushing and shock tower?
l.jpg

Whatever it is, it is not supposed to be there. The bushings are notched to fit in the opening in the shock tower, upper/lower bushing. In the manner you got those bushings (upper /lower) offset and not aligned will cause you to wear those bushings out prematurely.

Its just a domed part of the tower. The original bushings were mounted in the same manner.

Back