Shock Recommendation? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Shock Recommendation?

va2001ss

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0
Just finished putting Monroe Reflex's on all four corners, nice improvement over the worn out factory set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my98nnj

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Are they firmer or a bit softer then the SensaTracks?

snapp central

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C. (born & raised); Prince George - seasonally
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 limited &97 ""SOHC
I second the Reflex if you go Monroe. I had SensaTracs on my last Ex and the Reflex on this one, and I like the Reflex better- less body roll. I paid like $36/shock on RockAuto.

Joe Dirt,

I was just wondering if you replaced all 4 with the reflex.. Monroe for some reason doesn't list them anymore on their website with explorers (mine is 97 5.0). I wanted to go with 4 reflexes, despite this. any recommendations?

thanks Joe Dirt,

JAMES209

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0L E B
Anyone have KYB-GR2's on front or have a comment? I just installed Monroe Max-Air"s on rear and am going to rebuild front suspension/steering next week. I ordered KYB-GR2's this week from Amazon. I wish I knew about the coupon code.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Ask them if they would pricematch.

my98nnj

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
GR2's were a bit firm, though a great shock.
I swapped the fronts for Sensatrac's, still a controlled ride with a little more compliant ride noticeable on the highway. The rebound on the Monroe is a little softer.

JAMES209

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0L E B
Anyone have KYB-GR2's on front or have a comment? I just installed Monroe Max-Air"s on rear and am going to rebuild front suspension/steering next week. I ordered KYB-GR2's this week from Amazon. I wish I knew about the coupon code.

I just replaced the 5th shock (Monroe SC2958"axle damper") this AM and the X felt very good, as if it was in control of the road. Well worth the $35. free shipping on Amazon.

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I just replaced the 5th shock (Monroe SC2958"axle damper") this AM and the X felt very good, as if it was in control of the road. Well worth the $35. free shipping on Amazon.
Just did the same thing yesterday, did not even know it was a 5th shock till i read it on here.Made a world of difference around corners especaily since I put the 20" wheels on, the back end would roll alot but not anymore.By the way I used a coupon code fron couponcabin and it was only $28 picked up in store from Advance.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty

Just did the same thing yesterday, did not even know it was a 5th shock till i read it on here.Made a world of difference around corners especaily since I put the 20" wheels on, the back end would roll alot but not anymore.By the way I used a coupon code fron couponcabin and it was only $28 picked up in store from Advance.

Yup. I always said if you removed it and noticed no difference the one you removed was worn out. Thanks for updating this you guys!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger
FYI for anyone thinking about getting Sensa Tracs, NAPA store-brand shocks are really Sensa Tracs just painted blue and half the price.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Yup. I always said if you removed it and noticed no difference the one you removed was worn out. Thanks for updating this you guys!
You can add me to that list too :) Improvement to "cornering wobble" was so sensible that even my wife noticed it.

rabbit91

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 LIMITED V8 SAS 35s
bought reflexs for the front today, $80 on amazon

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
FYI for anyone thinking about getting Sensa Tracs, NAPA store-brand shocks are really Sensa Tracs just painted blue and half the price.

They sound like MonroeMatics (the lower line) to me.....Sensatrac is a black, lifetime warranty shock.

longgunner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXP Sport
Bought the Load Adjusting Monroe's for the rear of my kids 01 Sport, raised the rear end 2 inches. Put the sensa tracs on the front. Made a huge difference on overall ride. Thanks for all the great posts that encourages others to DIY!

masospaghetti

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Follow-up on an old thread - I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex up front and load-leveling Sensa-Trac in the back (seeing how bad she sagged with the back loaded up made this an easy decision). I'll follow up once they arrive and I get them installed!

I also used the load leveling Sensatracs in the rear, raised it up about an inch or so. Ride quality is good but the only comparison I have is a 2000 2-door Sport, which is always going to be choppier because of the short wheelbase. Sensatracs in the front too.