• Register Today It's free!

Shocks and turn signal issues

houstonscout2

Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ssport trac
Hello everyone. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 with a 4.0. I have about 180k miles on it. I love the truck and finally I am doing some much needed maintenance on it. I have two things I hope to get some opinions on.

The first one is easy and more opinion based. What shocks have you replaced with and liked? The truck is stock height and spends 90% of its lift on asphalt. The other 10% is a combination of being on the beach in the sand or being in the woods on dirt and mud. Not much rock climbing going on here.

The second one is maybe not so easy. I having issues with the turn signals. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. When I adjusted the steering column a little higher is worked all the time for a few months and now its doing it at that height. Has anyone had something similar? Its not the bulbs as I have replaced them. It also affects the brake light when it blinks really fast in the cab but not light on the rear.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '02 I have Monroe Sensatracs (now Spectrum OE, I think) and Monroe air shocks on the back. Firm, but not too harsh depending on how much air pressure is in the shocks. I like that combo much better than the Sensatracs on both ends on my '01 which seem a little soft.

You may have loose connections at the main connector in the steering column. Do a search. There are a lot of threads on issues with the wires being too short. The wires themselves aren't really too short, they're just taped so what little slack there is is in the wrong place making the wires too short. When you tilt the wheel the wires can pull loose, or the connector break. The connector can be replaced, if not repaired.

Here's some info for your MFS connector issue. Check ALL wires and replace the connector or MFS switch if necessary.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

Regarding shocks, KYB seems to be a good compromise for many here, although Monroe and Rancho remain popular
and have factory rebates through June 30. Shocks are like like tires and used for many different applications. There
is no single best shock for everyone. Do some research and read reviews from as many sources as possible. GL

Monroe Sensa-Trac 37122's on the front end for me. The rears are the Monroe 58671 Load Adjusting coil overs as I had to rectify the dreaded Explorer butt sag. Been very happy with them. 35k miles over 2-1/2 years no complaints.

Back