Shocks for lifted '95

Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone. Been forever since I've been on here. Bought a fix er up house and a vintage jet ski that have been taking up all my time now. :rolleyes: "Done" modifying my ex for the time being now that I got it on 33x12.50 bfg MTs. So heres the issue. I replaced my shocks with Monroe Sensatrac (I think, whatever their nicer one is) shocks about 4 years ago, so probably 20,000 miles ago. Put the 33's on this summer and now my front passenger side shock is spewing fluid. Enough so that it gets on the tire and throws it down the side of the truck. I haven't noticed it feeling any different, but I would assume it should be replaced. I know you are supposed to replace them in pairs, is that correct? I was thinking about trying a different shock since the Monroe crapped out so early. Perhaps one that would be more designed to control these bigger tires. My main question is can I run different shocks front and rear? If not I'll just get a set of the sensatracs. Thanks!!

Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no info??

You can buy them on eBay all day long..

Ryan

Ok, but still doesnt answer my question

I also have a 95 running the same shocks and tires as you. After a little research, I am going with the RS9000 XL series from Rancho. These are adjustable, and I can change the ride from street to dirt with ease. Ranch offers the old stand by RS5000, which are a great shock. Bilstein makes a very nice shock as well. Edlebrock has a couple of choices too. It all depends on your want's & budget. I would always change them in pairs, and stay with the same model. I dont see any problems having 2 diff models front and rear, except the ride system will be off from losing a tandem system designed from the factory. As cheap as the Monroe is, and if you liked the way the rig handled, 4 yrs is not that bad for your buck. Might just get the same replacements.

You have options, plenty of options! Just research them a little, you can only come out smarter for it!

Thanks Gman! I've looked at lots of models, the main thing I was wondering about was running different shocks front and rear, so that clears that up. You also had a good point, maybe i'll just replace it with the same thing. thanks for the info!!

Back