Shocks; who, what, where....

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Its that time again. I need to buy some new shocks. The old Superlifts are as dead as dirt. I have been reading through posts and found that Old Man Emu and Edelbrock seem to be well regarded, but I do not want to spend two arms and a leg for shocks. I have a 4" suspension lift, so going by that, what would you recommend? And, what is the cheapest place to get them from? Only if it come down to it will I sacrifice my arms for a good ride...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if Edelbrock makes shocks for a 4-in. lift, but I heard that rancho makes the adjustable (9000 series) for a 4-in lift. I am not exactly sure on the part numbers, but this is what I think they are: For front: 9112. For rear: 9012. You might do a search. I think Taxxman2k might know more.

Edelbrock doesn't make a 4" lifted shock for the Explorer but I think they make a set for a lifted F150 that work. I'm not sure of the part number but I'm pretty sure I've read about it. Try searching for lifted edelbrock or something like that.

go with bilsteins.....

like 60 bucks form www.truckperformance.com i think and they are gaurenteed for 100,000 miles...you will never need new shocks

Thanks for the responses. I will check out Bilsteins, I have read a lot of good things about them. Those may be where part of my tax return goes.....

im running them on my ranger along wiht a million other people i know and have yet to see a problem.....saw a guy jump his truck about 15 feet in the air on a regular bilstein and it held up.....just get the 5100 series.......a very awesome shock

Do not plan on having my Ex 15 feet in the air ANY time soon, so those sound like they just might work....

I was on the Truckperformance.com website and they sell Bilstein's for $59.95 each but there's no way to ask for longer shocks for lifted applications. How do you do this. I'm looking for a set that would work with the 5.5 lift. Thanks.

WELL, if you can use a F-150 4" lift shock, you can get bilsteins, edelbrock, and rancho rs9000's. id say go with the bilsteins. or if that dont work trailmaster makes 4" SSV's that will fit your 94 4" lift.

hmmmmmmmmm........

actually call them and ask and they will have an application for you...i know they make them because i got a 4 inch lift and the steins.....

But what about 5.5 for me?:bounce:

they have an application for that too....my bud has a 5.5" lift and bilsteins...so i know they have them

Back