• Register Today It's free!

Shoe Creek/GWNF Trail Report

WhitEngineering

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4DR 4X4 OHV
Decided at the 11th hour to make a scouting run to Shoe Creek in the GWNF last weekend, November 12th. Went solo, but met a couple Land Rovers as I entered the trail and we ran it together.

Shoe Creek starts in Alhambra and runs north to Crabtree Falls trailhead. Take 827 to 826. Immediately upon turning onto 826 you will cross a narrow steel bridge. Follow this road for maybe 1 mile and the road will basically dissapear into a small opening in the forest. Keep gettin' it for approx. 1/8 mi and you will come to a water crossing. Time to lock it in 4Lo.

Shoe Creek Trail is approx. 4 mi with what appeared to be a couple good offshoots, which we didn't take. We all wanted to be back on the road home by dark so we didn't play around too much. The main trail is mostly packed dirt with some sections of rock, but nothing technical that requires spotting. Rather narrow in sections with steep dropoffs on one side. This isn't a concern to Explorers, as there were many crew cab Superdutys on 35"+ out there.

There are probably 4 water crossings, though they are far from anything to need a snorkel over. Those from the Oct. 1st GWNF run will remember the water crossing from then. These are no worse. Like stated above there's a couple side trails. We didn't go down any of them so I don't know what is down them. I've read reports of a narrow side trail about 1 mile long that rejoins the main trail. Theres lots of stuff to play on. More than the 2nd. Mountain Trail trip. Couple steep hill climbs. A couple rock climbs, a short rather technical one in particular that took a Ranger Rover on 33's 20 minutes to climb. Its all optional with bypasses.

Continue up the trail and you will cross the Applachian Trail at the peak. Now its mostly easy downhill packed dirt for 0.5 mi to the upper Crabtree Falls parking lot. The lot is on the right and it is a 1 mile hike to the Falls. On the left is a foot trail that looks like it led to an opening for camping, as I could see several tents set up. I didn't make the trip to the falls since it would put me past dark leaving, as I wanted to scout and get back on the road before sunset. Traveling on past the parking lot, 826 is a narrow downhill dirt road that comes out to 56. Very twisty in parts with good views. Keep your eyes on the road, it's a sharp dropoff.

Overall seems like a good place for a day trip. There was a surprising number of people camping on the lower section (south of the Appalachian Trail). Easy enough for a stocker to carefully run and some good obstacles for more modified rigs to have a lot of fun. The Land Rover guys talked about going on to some other local trails, but I didn't get where they were. Looking at the Gazateer, there is a trail just east along Rocky Run. Might be another scouting trip?? Didn't get a whole lot of pics.. and none of the Explorer. So you have to settle for some Rovers... Enjoy!

Pics here

Videos here ... May have to refresh the google page.. it can be kinda strange with returning searches. Should be 7 videos. Right now it says it has 6, but only shows 5.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone let me know if the pics are working.

I had to right click properties, copy the picture's URL, and paste it into the address bar, then I could see the pics. Looks like a pretty cool trail. Makes me want to go wheel. :(

Same for me. Messed with it and couldn't fix it, so I took them down and added web page links. Webshots must not be link friendly.

Hello. I myself went there but was worried about the proper etiquette.
I did not want to be going the wrong way on a one way trail and meet up with some angry crowd because I messed up.
So if I understand correctly the proper starting point is as stated above (Shoe Creek starts in Alhambra and runs north to Crabtree Falls trailhead. Take 827 to 826. Immediately upon turning onto 826 you will cross a narrow steel bridge. Follow this road for maybe 1 mile and the road will basically dissapear into a small opening in the forest. Keep gettin' it for approx. 1/8 mi and you will come to a water crossing. Time to lock it in 4Lo. ) We came in off of a road called Crabtree Falls Rd and went past the campground thats on the left, about 5 minutes later there was a dirt road on the left that said road recommended for 4wd beyond this point. I assume we started at the wrong end? Like I said, I just want to be doing it right, and what happens if you meet on coming traffic on those parts that are kind of narrow? I like driving on roads like that, not really looking for anything where I have to rub against a rock with the side of my truck to get though, just some rough road and some water crossings is all. I did however purchase 2 sections of 3/8 x 20' chains and a come-along just in case.

Anyways just want some tips on what to do and what not to do.

You can run the trail either way. I'd say running it downhill is fairly easy with gravity pulling you down the whole time but I could definitely see spots where uphill could be quite challenging. Just as a heads up this thread is from 05. Not sure if you noticed that when you posted.

Back