Shooting for 400HP, Need Bigger Exhaust? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shooting for 400HP, Need Bigger Exhaust?

Details! Details! Real World Volumetric Efficiency

I calculated VE today based upon max MAF airflow and 5,000rpm from datalogs yesterday. VE Calc.: VE Calculator)

I had used guestimates of 130 for 6lbs and 155 for 8lbs in the Header calculator. I should have applied some kind of loss. I come-up with VE's of 125 at 6lbs and 145 at 8lbs with the VE Calculator.

I am now a bit more optimistic about running 8lbs and can illustrate the issues of running at anything over 6lbs below. Even at 6lbs the downpipes are small to be acting as collectors for scavenging, but have enough size for the flow (they are 2.25" vs suggested 2.44").

6lbs/125VE:
Your Primary Tube Length is 49.95
Your Primary Tube Diameter is 1.41 inches
Your Collector Diameter is 2.44 inches Two Collectors

8lbs/145VE:
Your Primary Tube Diameter is 1.47 inches
Your Collector Diameter is 2.55 inches Two Collectors

9lbs/155VE:
Your Primary Tube Diameter is 1.58 inches
Your Collector Diameter is 2.74 inches Two Collectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 439138

Here is the Dyno sheet for my AWD after the Xpipe, exhaust and cats magic but before the blower rebuild.

Will have another Dyno sheet for after the rebuild and going back to the 2.86 pulley
Also forgot to mention, this pull was with 6lbs of boost at max Hp

From what I’ve read a lot of other people are seeing how much larger boost numbers at comparable horsepower levels & pulleys - so I’m not sure why my observed boost level was only 6 pounds with the 2.7 pulley and 6.5 crankshaft pulley.

Ouch
Are you going to make appointment with referee? Or just see if they will flag you at the testing station

I would go in and try to pass without a referee. The blower kit and headers have CARB approval and all emissions are there and working. I may not have to go in for testing. I have passed the last two years by driving by mobile sniffer units they set-up around town. They give the location they are set-up and I make sure to drive by nice and easy.
Everything from the intake air box/filter to the cats has to be CARB approved or stock. I don't have CARB approved or stock air filter, box, nor throttle body (I wish I would have kept that stuff). I'll get a reminder/mailer and can check online if I have to test. If I go in for a test, I will make a trip to the U-Pull for the stock stuff, put on the large 3 7/8" blower pulley for 5lbs/less boost with proper tune and it should pass. I think I will also make some professional looking labels For DPFE, EGR Vacuum Control, EGR, and Purge line as they all were slightly relocated.

It's running gooooood and clean, got 15.0mpg over 95 miles on the prairie at 70-75mph, at a mile high at 5250', with heavier 255/70-16 AT's, and only going into boost a couple of times. When not in boost she's at Stoic but fighting altitude with power cut of 15%, 18mpgX .85= 15.3mpg

I slapped the 15" glasspack on. I wasn't sure of fitment, but It did fit at the end of the tailpipe so I put it there vs behind the muffler. It is just enough to take down the sound a few decibels to my level.
Tip.jpg

I would go in and try to pass without a referee. The blower kit and headers have CARB approval and all emissions are there and working. I may not have to go in for testing. I have passed the last two years by driving by mobile sniffer units they set-up around town. They give the location they are set-up and I make sure to drive by nice and easy.
Everything from the intake air box/filter to the cats has to be CARB approved or stock. I don't have CARB approved or stock air filter, box, nor throttle body (I wish I would have kept that stuff). I'll get a reminder/mailer and can check online if I have to test. If I go in for a test, I will make a trip to the U-Pull for the stock stuff, put on the large 3 7/8" blower pulley for 5lbs/less boost with proper tune and it should pass. I think I will also make some professional looking labels For DPFE, EGR Vacuum Control, EGR, and Purge line as they all were slightly relocated.

It's running gooooood and clean, got 15.0mpg over 95 miles on the prairie at 70-75mph, at a mile high at 5250', with heavier 255/70-16 AT's, and only going into boost a couple of times. When not in boost she's at Stoic but fighting altitude with power cut of 15%, 18mpgX .85= 15.3mpg
Does the entire state require emissions testing? Arizona only requires testing in counties with a population above 500k which is Maricopa and Pima. Wondering if your vehicle was registered to an address in a remote part of the state, would you still have to jump through the hoops?

Does the entire state require emissions testing? Arizona only requires testing in counties with a population above 500k which is Maricopa and Pima. Wondering if your vehicle was registered to an address in a remote part of the state, would you still have to jump through the hoops?
I like how you think, it is very clear that it has to be registered in the county in which you live. My son does not live in an emmissions county, but then I would be expecting him to take possession and liability for the vehicle while I drive like a maniac!

The rest of the story on the Tweecer tuned 93 Mustang Turbo at 11lbs:
-- DSS 331 with TW 'quench' pistons
-- TF TW Heads, milled several times over the years (were on my notch for a while) compression is around 10.5:1
-- TF Stage II Cam
-- Pedalstal 1.6 RR with chrome molley push rods
-- Ford Lifters
-- GT 40 U/L
-- BBK 65mm TB
-- 20-ish year old MAC (IIRC) 1 5/8 shorties (unequal)
-- 255lph in tank
-- 42lb injectors
-- 90mm GENII Lightning MAF
-- OEM Coil
-- FRRP (Blue) Plug Wires
-- 2 stage colder plugs
-- Heavy Duty Clutch (cannot remember manufacturer) Not Ford
-- OEM Distributor and TFI
-- OEM Rails and Lines

Back