• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Shop Computers?

Hitchhikingmike

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
A mouse needs table space, so a keyboard with an integrated touchpad would be more compact. What about the monitor? A small LCD would be better than a large screen unless you could hang it on the wall.

:thumbsup: A 15"LCD would be ideal, they are cheapo (relativity) now days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I dont see you selling many of these honestly especially with the prices of used computer systems out there. I picked up a used computer system a few months ago for my garage for $135 from a local used computer place. I dropped in some extra RAM and a wireless card for under $50 and it is perfect for my garage. I mainly use it to control a CNC cutter and searching the net for garage related topics. I think a wireless card should be an upgrade, I didnt want to deal with another wire hookup. Something I do need to do is add a filter to keep the dust out, any suggestions for that?

Here is my setup:

Attachments

• garage computer.jpg
    garage computer.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,606

Mirge

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
I dont see you selling many of these honestly especially with the prices of used computer systems out there. I picked up a used computer system a few months ago for my garage for $135 from a local used computer place. I dropped in some extra RAM and a wireless card for under $50 and it is perfect for my garage. I mainly use it to control a CNC cutter and searching the net for garage related topics. I think a wireless card should be an upgrade, I didnt want to deal with another wire hookup. Something I do need to do is add a filter to keep the dust out, any suggestions for that?

Here is my setup:

Nice rack..... *chuckles*. Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice cart :).

I'd grab an air filter like someone else mentioned and cut it to size if you were really concerned about it. Otherwise, just have a small vacuum handy (like a cheap-o car vac) and use it every once in a while as needed.

Hitchhikingmike

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I would suggest not cutting a filter to size of the inlet, but using a bigger filter say a 1'x1', and funnel it down to the inlet size of the fans, to decrease air flow resistance.

Tavery1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City/Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I'd recommend a wireless card built in or as an add-on. I've got a comp laying around that I'm going to make my "garage computer" but its too far away to run a hard line.

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
If my memory serves, NewEgg had a TINY computer in last week's sales... It was an Acer, didn't have an external drive, but it was barely the size of a small book and had some decent specs for hard drive and RAM. For a simple shop PC for surfing/streaming music, etc, it wouldn't be bad.

Tavery1

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Parents got a new computer and since they're old one was terribly outdated I took it, dropped another stick of pc133(yea that old) ram, still slow and doesn't have internet still looking for a cheap wifi usb adapter. Has everything I need Winamp for my ipod,obd2 code data base, NYS DMV regs(don't need them but nice to have) and a folder filled with internet pages of info on projects

I need or things that are helpful(mostly this site, its my homepage for that comp when I get the net, most of my projects are on the Exploder)

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

got those hooks for the wall for $.50 at Wal-Mart, small enough if I need all the room on my "bench" the keyboard and mouse can be put on those as well. I'm in the process of painting shelves that fit under the table for my cleaners and stuff.
PICT0010.jpg

P.S. Yea I know that box is cheap but for $80 its not that bad.

KPT

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
Is a shop computer really necessary for anyone that has a laptop? I exhausted most of my late model PC parts building an HTPC recently.

My laptop gets dragged into the garage all the time and hooked up to the 4KW PA system. It has wifi access to the server from there.

It's running windows 7 but has the xp virtual machine for those 16 bit FSM's.

I also take it to the "shop" (my friends detached garage with a lift) frequently. Can't do that with a mounted shop computer.

Tavery1

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Is it needed to have a mounted one? No but if you have an old one laying around why bring a nice laptop down there, what if your in the middle of a project and need to look something up, gonna run inside and wash your hands so your laptop doesn't get covered in grease/oil etc. it would be wise so you don't fry it or ruin it, but its frustrating to have to go in wash and dry hands just to check something.

I'd never go buy/build a new comp to make a shop computer but hey why let something go to waste.

99SportX

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
So what are good options for keyboard and mouse? What would be a good durable keyboard that can handle all of the dirt and grime?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
An IBM Model M keyboard with a keyboard condom is about as good as your going to get. The Model M keyboards are tanks and the cover on it will keep anything out of it. Worst case, you throw it in the dishwasher to clean it.

For the mouse, you will need to go optical, otherwise the mouse ball is going to get gumed(sp?) up.

~Mark

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Any el-cheepo keyboard will work. I have a couple of older ones that have been through some abuse and they work fine. I am using a ball mouse right now.

The problem with an optical is that it needs a flat smooth surface to get a good reflection. Laser will work on just about any surface. The ball will do the same just for much, much cheaper.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Any el-cheepo keyboard will work. I have a couple of older ones that have been through some abuse and they work fine. I am using a ball mouse right now.

The problem with an optical is that it needs a flat smooth surface to get a good reflection. Laser will work on just about any surface. The ball will do the same just for much, much cheaper.

I can't handle a ball mouse that has issues.. As soon as it doesn't move the way I want when I need it to becuase I need to look up something I tend to get pissed and whack the mouse. Too many times it flattens and then I have to go find another mouse.. :)

I don't like el-cheapo keyboards, but, it is true that you can get them so cheap that it won't be a big deal to keep a spare one and just let them die in dirty enviornment.

~Mark

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
I can't handle a ball mouse that has issues.. As soon as it doesn't move the way I want when I need it to becuase I need to look up something I tend to get pissed and whack the mouse. Too many times it flattens and then I have to go find another mouse.. :)
~Mark

Aint it the truth. Its a great stress reliever, though...:D