Shopping around for a SUV, suggestions please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shopping around for a SUV, suggestions please?

FooBar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Miata 2014
Hi, I've been thinking about buying an SUV for camping trips (in the mountains), including in winter, and for some off-roading, both on forest roads and desert. I've been thinking about a 4Runner Limited (because it has full-time 4WD), but it seems to be lacking in power. Would an Explorer work for my intended use? My main concern is whether it can take off-road abuse.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I've been thinking about buying an SUV for camping trips (in the mountains), including in winter, and for some off-roading, both on forest roads and desert. I've been thinking about a 4Runner Limited (because it has full-time 4WD), but it seems to be lacking in power. Would an Explorer work for my intended use? My main concern is whether it can take off-road abuse.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If it's between the two vehicles you mentioned, go with the 4Runner. No question about it. The 5th gen Explorer is okay for light to possible medium off road work but what you describe seems to entail more than that. Plus the 'Runner' has more ground clearance.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If it's between the two vehicles you mentioned, go with the 4Runner. No question about it. The 5th gen Explorer is okay for light to possible medium off road work but what you describe seems to entail more than that. Plus the 'Runner' has more ground clearance.

Peter

Thank you. It's too bad, because the Ford engines are very impressive--I cant understand why Toyota puts anemic engines in their SUVs. Would an Expedition be better suited for off-road, given that it's a body on frame structure?

I'd honestly look to a slightly older land rover or even a 11-13 jeep grand cherokee.

used.

however not sure your trail etc etc but an AWD explorer would do OK.

those other 2 would do much better IMO.

and maybe consider a 4x4 f150 quad cab? with a bed cover or such.

Thank you. It's too bad, because the Ford engines are very impressive--I cant understand why Toyota puts anemic engines in their SUVs. Would an Expedition be better suited for off-road, given that it's a body on frame structure?

Expedition would be nice if it is not to big for where you are going, but sure has the power and storage capacity to take a lot and keep everyone comfortable.

The Fifth generation is not designed for rough terrain. Forest service roads, some logging roads and desert roads would be OK. Even some uneven, rutted roads would be OK with emphasis on roads for all conditions. The new Explorers are basically a FWD vehicle not too different from being a minivan that you can add a 4x4/AWD option to. If you took the 'off road' part from what you need in the vehicle you search for, an Explorer would be ideal. The used vehicles mentioned are the category of vehicle that would probably fit your needs.

If you took the 'off road' part from what you need in the vehicle you search for, an Explorer would be ideal. The used vehicles mentioned are the category of vehicle that would probably fit your needs.

I agree 100% with this and would even go as far as saying that if you were willing to give up the 'off road' idea, you'd have a vehicle that's much better in winter weather.

If you insist on the off-road needs get the Toyota but expect it to not be as confident in snow/slush as a 4WD Explorer.

If you insist on the off-road needs get the Toyota but expect it to not be as confident in snow/slush as a 4WD Explorer.

You are right, 4Runners (with the exception of Limited) are part-time 4WD, which is inferior to AWD in snow or slush.

The Limited 4Runner is full-time 4WD (lockable Torsen limited slip central differential) -- is the Explorer similarly equipped?

Thanks!

What is your definition of "off roading". I would think a fifth gen Explorer would work if your definition of off roading is forest roads that are gravel, dirt, with only minor ruts. If your definition of off roading is crossing larger rocks, or very rutted rocky roads you may have a problem with the latest Explorer. The main problem is the ground clearance. The front air dam is very low but it is just actually rubber and bends, so if it scrapes it probably is not that big a deal. But you will scrape it on very rough trails. The other issue is the lack of any skid plates for under body protection. Mine will take me most places I go, but I proceed with care. It is not built on a truck frame.

The new Explorers are basically a FWD vehicle not too different from being a minivan that you can add a 4x4/AWD option to.

The Ford AWD system has been excellent for me in very soft, deep and mucky sand on Nantucket beaches. However, that is on a 2009 Escape with good ground clearance.

The problem with the Ex is ground clearance. Especially with the front air dam.

No AWD will be a true rock climber, but it is not bad for certain offroad conditions that are pretty tough.

However, only the OP knows the conditions he will drive in, and when in doubt, I'd go true locking differential 4x4 with good ground clearance.

The Limited 4Runner is full-time 4WD (lockable Torsen limited slip central differential) -- is the Explorer similarly equipped?

No, nothing like it. It's part time Haldex type AWD. It is FWD biased, with the system transferring power to the Rear on demand, based on the selected condition setting.

The Explorer is essentially an AWD mini-van.

No, nothing like it. It's part time Haldex type AWD. It is FWD biased, with the system transferring power to the Rear on demand, based on the selected condition setting.

The Explorer is essentially an AWD mini-van.

Between this and the trails link, IMO this is not what the current gen Ex is built for.

There are a few posts with pics on here showing people climbing some steep sand and desert trails in the Ex & beating Jeeps and others, and some fairly rocky (but evened out rocky trails-not too many ruts), but the underside is 100% open with tons of parts with wires and tubing hanging in between,and you would need to be going dead slow on anything more than typical trails made for all cars.

-Forget 20" tires-but only other option are 18" unless you wanted to lift the Ex first. Posts with raised Ex and bigger tires with pics and specs are also on here.

If you need a larger car to carry people and gear on the trails, it would need to be a proven platform. If its only you on the trails, then its much easier and maybe consider a good used SUV.

They do so for reliability. People buy Toyotas for reliability. They usually don't update their tech and wait for the industry to test it out the new tech before they update. That's why you never hear Toyotas breaking down often.

They do so for reliability. People buy Toyotas for reliability. They usually don't update their tech and wait for the industry to test it out the new tech before they update. That's why you never hear Toyotas breaking down often.

Would a higher-powered engine break down more often? I've read that Toyota is deliberately resisting "playing the horsepower game". This is bizarre, because 4Runners with 300hp+ engines (like the V6 Ford) would sell like crazy. Other Japanese automakers are the same, take for example the wonderful Mazda Miata, which is incredibly under-powered.

I am not planning to do off-roading for the sake of off-roading, but for getting to interesting places, such as this:

http://digital-desert.com/death-valley/backcountry-roads/

You'll beat a 5th generation Explorer to death on those roads. Believe me, I know. Mine is used for traversing a lot of well roads, and oil and gas access roads. It does not do a very good job when the roads get rough. I cut my front air dam down because it would drag on about any rut, and I didn't want to tear the entire thing off.

100_1927_zps9f25ca5a.jpg

100_1928_zps5a491c51.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a Jeep Wrangler unlimited.

Back