• Register Today It's free!

Shopping for new engine

PhillySportPhan215

Reaction score
City, State
Glenside, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
So...have to put a new engine in my 2013 Explorer Sport. Love this truck, but given me nothing but problems since I bought it. Misfires upon misfires. Been to two dealers and no luck. Finally died. Thought it was timing chain, so re-timed it and now lost all compression. So instead of throwing more money at this thing TRYING to figure out what's wrong; just going to get an engine. Found one out of a 2013 Taurus SHO with about 42k miles on it. Question: is this completely compatible or are there any parts that need to be swapped out to be 100% compatible (fuel injectors, etc...) I don't want to pull the trigger on $3k worth of work without being sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a NA 3.5, no EcoBoost SHO engine. It won't fit without extensive modifications.

I have the turbocharged 3.5L EcoBoost in the car already. From my research, they have the same engine (Ford Explorer Sport & Taurus SHO). After speaking with my mechanic, he had some concerns around the fuel injectors, but not regard to fit.

Oh ok...you got me scared for a minute!! I'm pretty confident it will work; all of the places I have been looking at ask me to verify my VIN so that they can make sure their quotes are accurate.

Oh ok...you got me scared for a minute!! I'm pretty confident it will work; all of the places I have been looking at ask me to verify my VIN so that they can make sure their quotes are accurate.
Should be the same, but it might not be listed as being compatible because it's a different model altogether and I can't recall seeing that sort of detailed cross referencing before.

Check engine part number on rockauto or ford website for both cars. Maybe even car-part.com

Thanks! I did try them first, but they don't have anything developed for this engine yet. They said it's too new.

It's been around in the Sport for 7 years!

Peter

Does the SHO have the internal water pump, or was that just an Explorer thing?

Does the SHO have the internal water pump, or was that just an Explorer thing?

Every FWD vehicle that has the 3.5 has the internal.

Back