Shopping for STs, a couple of questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shopping for STs, a couple of questions

manimal

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I'm in the process of reading the FAQ, forgive me if I miss anything. Based on what I'm seeing in the FAQ I should look for 04-05 models to avoid most of the early problems.

Specifically I really want to avoid SOHC tensioner issues, and I would really like to find an ST with factory LSD. Don't really care if it's 3.73 or 4.10.

Was there a year in 4.0 production where the SOHC tensioners were resolved by the factory?

Is the LSD that common in the STs? In my experience the LSD is very common in other Explorer XLT models, I almost always have found them in 3.73 junkyard axles, and both of the 3.73 Ex in our family had the factory LSD.

OT... I hated the looks of the Sport Trac for years and was really never interested in them. I started getting keen on the idea of a short bed Tacoma or a Frontier 4-dr pickup, but a used Explorer was my fallback, as I've owned multiple Explorers over the years and love them a lot. Once I remembered the ST and looked at pictures of them mildly lifted, I was hooked. They're affordable and have the mechanical stuff I'm familiar with. All I want is a simple shackle & TT lift, no more than one step up from stock sized tires - just need a bit more than the factory clearance & stance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read that by 2005 Ford started using better timing chain components, but I can't swear to it. I came across this info while considering finding a used replacement engine for my '01 XLT.

Thanks for the info, I guess it would just be best to shoot for 2005 models to avoid any leftover tensioners in use.

Is there any known procedure used by dealers to indicate that the TSB kit has been installed on an 01-02 vehicle? e.g. under hood sticker?

No the 1st gen Sport Tracs are based on 2nd gen Explorers. The 3rd gen Explorers 2002 and up except the 2dr '01 to '03 Sports, are a whole different design. I don't know if/when the 4.0 engines changed though.

great thread, though I've gone over it and see your reference to updated tensioners in 2002 - have you directly experience a guide failure in a 2002+ engine using the updated tensioner? it was my understanding that the guide failure was not specifically due to materials used, but due to chain slapping against the guide once the tensioner begins to wear. I have a marginal understanding of the issue beyond that though.

I still have my OHV 4.0 Sport that is now up to 270k miles on the original engine.. still starts every time, has never thrown a code, and has good power. if the SOHC lasts as long as that I would be very happy.

great thread, though I've gone over it and see your reference to updated tensioners in 2002 - have you directly experience a guide failure in a 2002+ engine using the updated tensioner? it was my understanding that the guide failure was not specifically due to materials used, but due to chain slapping against the guide once the tensioner begins to wear. I have a marginal understanding of the issue beyond that though.

I still have my OHV 4.0 Sport that is now up to 270k miles on the original engine.. still starts every time, has never thrown a code, and has good power. if the SOHC lasts as long as that I would be very happy.

Yes, my 07 chewed up the front and rear guides, as well as the main and jackshaft tensioner.

That sucks.. Based on a lot of the reading I've done the failures do not seem that common in the later years. Sorry to hear about yours.

Back